Which keg to use for the keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfisherwes

Reaction score
One has a big bulge in the middle which looks like it might be a nuisance but it seems to be a better quality keg. Which one do I use?

image-1769968436.jpg

image-2324837362.jpg

image-3981623450.jpg

That bulge seems like it'd be a real PITA for a sight glass, etc.

I'd go with the regular one. Seems like there's no damage to it, right? Just needs a good polishin'.

I'm not certain but that bulge, unless it is concave from the inside, looks like it may be an air pocket for insulation purposes? In any event you want to make sure there is no air in that section (i.e. drill it) so that you don't end up with a keggle-splosion on your hands. Otherwise I say take your pick.

Definitely go with the flat-sided one. Sight glasses are a great benefit for keggles.

Agree, no doubt make the flat side your BK. I know some guys like to ferment in the bulgy ones, but I'm not sure why.

brewhardware.com sells a sight glass for either one of those, I bought one for my keg that had that same bulge, mine was a Coors keg originally.

Back