Given a Glycol Chiller...Now What?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungusBrews

Reaction score
So my buddy was given one of these glycol chillers for some carpentry he did. He doesn't have a need for it so he is giving it to me.

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/glycol-pid-MMPP4301-EP.html

It is an older version with an analog temp controller instead of the new digital one.

So Now What??

I know the obvious function is to use it to cool the lines in a draft setup with the kegs in another room. (i.e. the basement) I already have a bobbyM style kegerator that I am very happy with.

Another thing I see people do is use it to control fermentation temperatures with wrapped coils or a jacket. I already have a chest freezer that I fit 2 sanke's in for fermentation.

Are there any brewing procedures that this could be implemented into? (wort chilling?) Any ideas on improving fermentation control? Maybe this would be more accurate/faster cooling than the chest freezer control?

Comments/Suggestions

Sorry, nothing to add regarding the Glycol chiller, hopefully someone will contribute a useful idea.

But, I did skim through your thru-hike journal, Hungus. I'm heading nobo in March for my second long hike in the Appalachians. Glad to see more brewer/hiker folk! I know I'm going to pack some aged mead or barley wine up to big K once I get there!
Good luck with the chiller, happy trails.

Good Luck this coming hiking season! I'll be back out for round 2 in 2012 =) I plan on having all my kegs full up with strong ale/mead/cider to age for 6 months while I'm gone. Maybe carry a corny up Katahdin? Think the rangers would be cool with that...hehe.

Put taps in your kitchen and a chest freezer in your basement. I have the 35' model and that's what I did. Best decision ever

Good Luck this coming hiking season! I'll be back out for round 2 in 2012 =) I plan on having all my kegs full up with strong ale/mead/cider to age for 6 months while I'm gone. Maybe carry a corny up Katahdin? Think the rangers would be cool with that...hehe.

I just saw your journal. I'm really enjoying the read. I've been planning to do some section hikes in 2011. My wife and I have a vacation home on Lake Chatuge in Hiawassee, so I'm very familiar with the area. It sounds like your weather in March was nice. The 2010 weather was just plain frigid in the GA Mtns. I'm a member of the App Trail Conservancy and have been thinking about doing some volunteering on the trail. My problem is work requires global travel and lately, I haven't had a chance to do much of anything. Good luck with the chiller.

ill watch for ideas on this thread, as i recently came into owning a glycol chiller. My main thought now is selling it and putting those funds towards a brew shed

Mike

Back