Bottle my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkippyWilliams

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batch tonight. It is an IPA and I have to say it smelled really good. They only issue I ran into was siphoning. I never did it before so I did practice and thought I had it down, but when I started siphoning from my carboy I wasn’t getting the beer out. I soon realized I didn’t have it up high enough. So I readjusted by stacking some cases of canned corn and moved my carboy on that and tried again and got my brew out with no problem. I did just have it on the counter and had my bottling bucket in the sink. Lesson learned on that one.

Yeah I figured out that it definitely helps to elevate it a little but you don't need much. How long did it take?

Didn’t take long. Only a couple minutes. It was only a 1 gallon batch. I am definitely moving up to 5 gallons. Going through all this work for just a little bit was worth it. I will still use the 1 gallon carboy though just in case I want to experiment.

I set my FV on the fermenter stand,with the bottling bucket on the floor. Works better that way,especially with 5-6 gallon batches. Or in your case,FV on counter,bottling bucket on the floor.

Back