recipe change, running the numbers..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ct_beer

Reaction score
Hello,
While waiting for my first batch to condition in the bottles, I wanted to get a second brew in the works. Here are the recipe details:

Coopers Real Ale - making 23 liters
1kg of sugar to add in
3.8% alcohol
1006 target final density

I saw a recipe online of someone that changed this recipe with great results by adding the following:
250g honey
500g of DME Amber (18 EBC, Brewferm)
500g cane sugar

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but was wondering if I can just add these ingredients together w/ the kit malt?
How do I calculate the final density if adding these ingredients?
How do I calculate the alcohol content?
How do I calculate the final target density?
Wondering also if this will drastically increase the fermentation time?

Sorry for the freshman questions, just want to get it right.

Thanks,
dmc

Here is a good recipe calculator that is free http://hopville.com/

Personally I wouldn't do any recipe that called for that much cane sugar

Have you checked out the recipe kits on Northern Brewer? They give the ingredients so you should be able to get something close in you area

I think by density or "final target density" you are refering to your Original Specific Gravity (OG or SG for short), and your Final Gravity (FG). These are measured by taking a hydrometer reading, before pitching yeast for OG and to verify fermentation is complete afterwards (FG).

For alcohol content -

OG - FG x 131 = Alcohol %

The reason Blowmax would avoid that much sugar, its because its a easy or cheaper way of adding more fermentable to your brew - adding sugar, as opposed to sugar originating from grains or extract.

Hope this helps!

Back