Determining volumes, mass and alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am making fortified cider and am wanting someone to confirm that my calculation methodology is correct.

Firstly, confirmation of volumes.

I have a confirmed mass of apple juice of 4.0 kg. My hygrometer reading is 1.054 kg/l, so my volume must be 3.8 l.

If after primary fermentation I have a hygrometer reading of 0.99 kg/l then I am assuming from "the concept of conservation of mass" that the volume of the liquid must have increased to 3.96 l, or is the volume still the same and the decreased density if the clarified liquid is off set by an increase in density of the sediment. I can always reweigh the decanted liquid to calculate the volume from the measured density.

After the primary fermentation, to approx 7%, I am adding additional sugar, which changes the volume, so as I am adding a mass of sugar, I need to work in mass and density to determine final volume.

When determining how much vodka to add to bring the final alcohol content to 18%, I should be using volumes not mass, as ABV is "alcohol by volume".

Any thoughts?

Neil

Back