mounting a shirron chiller...give me some ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You've all seen my brew rig. Now I want to add a shirron chiller to it, but obviously it has to be able to come off easily.

Those that aren't familiar with the shirron, it has no hooks or anything to allow it to hang. Magnets are out because it is stainless. I'm kind of clueless. Any ideas?

The pic attached might help. You can't see the back, but it isn't flush, it has a lip about 1/4 inch, so that adds another problem.

shirron-chiller.jpg

Dude,

what about 2 brackets holding it like this. They should be made from spring steel such that the chiller can snap in and out. I'm not sure where you would find them, though. Or 2 L shaped brackets.

2249-chillerhanger.GIF

Are you thinking somethign like those plastic hooks that hang over a door? Something like this (on the left), but home-made from metal? I thought of that too, but I'm not confident I could make it work.

240_246.jpg

Dude said:
Are you thinking somethign like those plastic hooks that hang over a door? Something like this (on the left), but home-made from metal? I thought of that too, but I'm not confident I could make it work.

pretty much. But I like the snap-in version better. Now where can you get something like this ???

Maybe the BrewPastor knows. He seems to have all kinds of stuff like this in his garage.;)

Kai

Actually....if you want to mount it to metal, you could use JB weld and attach some hard drive magets to the back of it. They're more than strong enough to hold it up, I'm sure. Then a quick pull of it, and it'd pop off wherever you mounted it. If you're mounting it to a bar, you could also use some big arsed velso straps. Strap around the chiller and bar it's mounted to. Then remove velcro, and it'll pop off.

Nope....it can't be a permanent mount, as I have to remove it after every brew session to thoroughly clean it. I thought of magents, but that won't work. I like Kai's idea, however I am a retard when it comes to this stuff.

The velcro just MIGHT work.....

Uh, BTW Kai, NICE drawing.

A cheap and easy way might be to just use a couple of C-clamps, with a piece of thin wood to protect the face of the thing. Or I have IT! Duct tape... ;)

cool. That's not terribly heavy.

Clamps would certainly work, but the first thing that came to my mind was a plexiglass mounting plate that was attached to the rig.

If you drilled big holes in the plate (and maybe add some rubber grommets), the threaded in/out ports of the chiller could be inserted through the holes, and then your hoses could be attached. The hoses themselves would provide the 'clamping' force to hold the chiller in place on the plate.

-walker

Maybe you just have to take a stroll throgh HD/Lowes to find something elegant to attach it with ;)

what about Velcro ?? Would that hold ?

Kai

Dude, let us know when you get it working I am in the market for a new chiller and was thinking about a chillus maximus.

I like Walker's idea.

Or, a related but even simpler idea: you're going to have four hoses of some sort hooked up to this thing: if the hoses were all draped over/through some sort of hook or bracket, the hoses themselves would hold the unit up, wouldn't they?

cweston said:
if the hoses were all draped over/through some sort of hook or bracket, the hoses themselves would hold the unit up, wouldn't they?

yeah, that would work, but having it mounted someplace would be much cooler and the chicks would go wild.

-walker

What about just attaching it to the outlet on your Keggle? Maybe mating quick-connect hose ends and then let it hang from there. That way it is right there and you just pop it on and off. Put an appliance line (metal, bendable) on the water side or a pvc elbow to a MPT/FHT.

Dude, I have one for my new rig but have not hooked it up yet. I'm planning on just putting it on a board next to my pump and use a couple of 1/2" 90deg. Elbows on the inlet and the outlet of the chiller to keep the hose from kinking. Where you put it is not as important as to how you attach it to your hoses.

How about 2 soldered copper pipe units, with two elbows, which serve both as the water intake&outake and the mounting hooks. Design them according to the width of your brewstand framing material so they fit kindof snugly over something and hold the chiller plate up that way. I assume you can get the copper hose fittings you'd need.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of a quick-connect solution. I would also run two copper water lines (Inlet and outlet) up your frame with hose connects on the bottom ends and a short length of hose with connects at the top. That way the whole cooling unit could click in place without too much hose weight on it.

Brewpastor said:
What about just attaching it to the outlet on your Keggle? Maybe mating quick-connect hose ends and then let it hang from there. That way it is right there and you just pop it on and off. Put an appliance line (metal, bendable) on the water side or a pvc elbow to a MPT/FHT.

Sorry, I'm gonna need one of your handy dandy drawings to help me figure out this idea. :p

I'm not visualizing this, I don't think.

I tried to get a diagram up but am having no luck at all, so...

I assume you have a threaded valve on the outlet of your keggle. To this attach an adaptor that goes from the female pipe thread of you valve to a female hose fitting. They sell these at Home Depot for a couple bucks.

I don't know how your chiller is threaded, it is either male pipe, or male hose thread, but you want to get the wort inlet connection to be a male hose thread. If it is male pipe thread, get an adaptor like the one pictured (also at HD)

mpt.jpg

Then attach one of these guick connect units, the male side to your Keggle, the female to your chiller.
quickconnects.jpg

Now your chiller will connect directly to your keggle and the connection will be strong enough that it can just hang there like an attachment to you keggle. Then you just attach water to the other side for chilling and I would say use the same set-up with quick connects there too. Run a wort out line to your fermenter and you are in business.

If it still doesn't make sense, I will try again!

What about nylon straps with the disconnects??? You know, like on a back pack??? Just a thought, or a strap with two d rings on it like a belt on football pants...... Or, I could be quiet and go back to drinking beer.:cross:

Dude, I've been searching for this pic. It took me a while but I finally found it. This is basiclly how I'm going to set mine up.

shirronsetup.jpg

Rusty said:
Dude, I've been searching for this pic. It took me a while but I finally found it. This is basiclly how I'm going to set mine up.

shirronsetup.jpg

I agree, it looks nice. My concern with that set up is how long it is going to take to disassemble it every time to clean it. I wouldn't have the pump attachment (can't afford one right now) but the shirron is already going to be a PITA to clean, from what I've heard. I would really dread taking off all of those pipes on the ball valve side to make sure it was cleaned.

Brewpastor said:
I tried to get a diagram up but am having no luck at all, so...

I assume you have a threaded valve on the outlet of your keggle. To this attach an adaptor that goes from the female pipe thread of you valve to a female hose fitting. They sell these at Home Depot for a couple bucks.

I don't know how your chiller is threaded, it is either male pipe, or male hose thread, but you want to get the wort inlet connection to be a male hose thread. If it is male pipe thread, get an adaptor like the one pictured (also at HD)

mpt.jpg

Then attach one of these guick connect units, the male side to your Keggle, the female to your chiller.
quickconnects.jpg

Now your chiller will connect directly to your keggle and the connection will be strong enough that it can just hang there like an attachment to you keggle. Then you just attach water to the other side for chilling and I would say use the same set-up with quick connects there too. Run a wort out line to your fermenter and you are in business.

If it still doesn't make sense, I will try again!

BP....thank you for the explanation. Sounds like a plan--or something very similar to it. I think what I am going to do though is wait for now--until I get a pump. I'll use the chiller once or twice to see what the best plan of attack will be.

Man I need a pump.

Back