Suggestion For Beer On Top Of Fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
I'm planning a batch for later this week and am planning on syphoning about half (maybe all) on top of blackberries in a secondary. I'm looking for recommendations for a beer that would go well with this. Ideally, I'd like to do a Pale Ale or a Blonde. I tend to prefer beers on the maltier side, but anything that isn't too hoppy (I don't love IPA's) would work.

I poked around the recipe database and it seems that most APA's have at least 50-60 IBU's. Not sure if that'll be too hoppy. In the past I've brewed the Centennial Blonde recipe I found on this forum and loved it but I'd like to try something new here. All grain recipes are ideal - I use Deathbrewer's stovetop method.

Thanks for any help! :mug:

How many blackberries are you planning on using? For me it would depend on how many are used and how much of the blackberrie flavor you want to come through. For 5lb or more maybe a stout/porter. Less then 5lbs a blonde would work or even a amber ale, or a malty brown ale. Also people make wheat beers when using fruit a lot.

I'm thinking about 4lbs and definitely want to brew an Ale or Blonde. I'm adding them to the secondary because I'm hoping they will add a little sourness along with the blackberry flavor - kind of like Harpoon Raspberry if you've ever had that one.

A sweet porter works really well with blackberries. You want to add quite a lot as the flavor is fairly light but the sweeter porter really complements the blackberries. I have had this at the specialty beer shows and it can be very very good.

If you want a more blond ale, look for a wheat beer base and add less hops then normal. Something like 60% barley, 40% wheat or something along those lines with IBUs in the 20's for a 60 OG. Really complements the berries well.

That SWMBO Slayer sounds awesome but it uses Wheat Yeast. Will that ferment OK at temps around 69-70 degrees? Or, can I use Ale Yeast with that recipe? Sorry, still learning with the different types of yeast.

Back