Beer yeast in a wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drathbone

Reaction score
Sorry if this should be wine forum. I wasn't sure where to put it so I posted in both.

I've made a few batches of ed worts apfelwein and the wine makes no krausen. If I use a beer yeast will it make a krausen? I'm trying to make a small batch in a growler and not sure if I should make a blowoff tube.

It will make a colorful krausen. I sued in a current wine last fall. Going to bottle it soon. It looks and smells great. BTW certain wine yeast do top ferment. Montrachet for example is a messy yeast the I need a blow off tube for.

It will make a colorful krausen. I sued in a current wine last fall. Going to bottle it soon. It looks and smells great. BTW certain wine yeast do top ferment. Montrachet for example is a messy yeast the I need a blow off tube for.

The first time I used Montrachet there was no krausen whatsoever, and had my 5g carboy filled nearly to the top, with very little headspace.

I do need to clarify. I use montrachet yeast with fresh fruit juice. It is still messy for me and I use a blow off.

As far as blow off tube. It can be constructed fairly quickly. I wouldn't sweat it.

Latest posts

Back