Question about band-aid/plastic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwomp313

Reaction score
So I recently brewed a partigyle in which the strong was like an American Strong Ale and the weak one I turned into sort of a steam beer. Only in the steam beer there is a highly detectable and pretty nasty band-aid/plastic taste. I know that this is said to be from chlorophenol production caused by poorly rinsing bleach off equipment. As someone who does use bleach to sanitize, I'm guessing I didn't rinse that carboy well enough. Now what I'm wondering is, does this taste go away with age? Is it going to be drinkable eventually? I really hope so because I hate wasting beer.

While beer is still fermenting, it tends to have a really strong band-aid flavor/aroma. Thought I had a ruined beer when I tasted a hydometer sample, but it went away in about a week or so.

Sorry. If it were a big imperial stout or something, I'd suggest aging it for years with the potential of getting lucky, but if is that prominent in a beer that light, it isn't really going anywhere before the beer is just an oxidized mess anyhow.

Back