Toppling Goliath

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Des Moines and we get decent TG distro, here. They've just fired up their new brewery and are canning, so that should help things a lot.

The old canning setup was contract brewed in Florida, and that beer was bad. Ok, not "bad" but not as good as it should be. Kinda turned me off them for a bit. I've had Pseudosue from the new canning line, and it was really really good. Other guys seemed to get a bad batch, but the 2 packs I bought were outstanding.

Pompeii might be my favorite TG brew; it is underrated IMO. I've heard they are to can that, but not sure when. Same with King Sue, which would be fun to have ready access to.

I've never been to Decorah, but that part of Iowa is beautiful. You should just schedule your next family vacation to NE Iowa. ;)

@NickTheGreat

They are canning Pompeii now. They posted a video on twitter last week. Not sure when it will hit distro but hopefully their distributor doesn't sit on it.

I had a 4 pack of the Decorah cans and they were good, although they had a lot of floaties. I just left the last few ounces in the can. Hopefully they will work the kinks out in their system.

Pompeii, when it's a good batch, is one of my favorite TG beers.

I'll think of you from the tasting room in Decorah this afternoon! Cheers! :cask:

Edit...Pseudo Sue and their latest Xhops Amber. And HWMO just brought a taste of their Dragon Fandango.... Might be snagging a couple of bottles of that to bring home!

Editedit.... Dragon is draft only. Shoot. Another day, I think.

Last edited:
My son's been going to college in Decorah, Luther College. I try to stop in at TG or Pulpit Rock when I visit. Last time there I tried TG's Naughty 90. Wow!! When my son came home for Christmas break I had him bring me some more.

Is the Pompeii any good?

I had dinner tonight at Grizzlys Woodfire Grill and they had Pompeii on tap.
It was very good. Their description - "Pompeii is our single hop mosaic IPA. It houses mango and pineapple flavors with a medium-bodied feel and bright tones to tantalize the palate."

Great beers. I just went to Clearwater, FL over the weekend and brought back a bunch of Pseudosue. I've also had the double dry hopped PS, and King sue. All fantastic.

Just to twist the knife a bit, I had a can of Pompeii over the weekend and it was fantastic. :drunk:

Back