Cold Crashing teperature and how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As cold as possible above freezing works best for me. I agree with 2-4 days, with the thinking that the colder you go the less time you need to do it.

i figured i would get lots of answers, i was just looking for a place to start, i didn[t know if 50 degrees for awhile or 35 or inbetween, i think i will shoot for 37-40 degrees to start and see where this beer goes, its nothing fancy just a light ale , i have had good luck in the past with letting my beer secondary for awhile and becoming very clear, but i have 3 beers i need to keg and have ready for memorial day, so i figured i would give the cold crashing a chance

I think there is a pretty significant difference between 40 and 32 degrees. I have read on here that 1 day at 32 is better than 2 weeks at 40. I have noticed personally that the colder I can get it, the more sediment and yeast fall out of suspension.

Agreed; as close to freezing as you can. If it's in a carboy then I would just go by sight when deciding to stop crashing it.

Back