Read this before you buy from Kegkits.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! Sorry for the size of this post but I finally got in touch with Tom! All you have to do is say something negative about him on his kegkits.com blog and he'll get right back in touch with you! Here's his email address that he responds pretty quickly to ([email protected]) and here's our conversation (start from the bottom). Good luck! I really hope this guy shapes up or gets out of the business. I've never had this amount of hassle from a vendor EVER! I can't believe that he said that he refunded my money. I've tried at least 40 times to get in touch with him to see where it went. No he says he refunded it?? I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

Sent: Sat 5/30/09 11:12 AM
To: [email protected]

If you did refund my money it must be "Magic Money" because it didn't show up anywhere which is why I'm forced to go through the hassle of disputing this with my bank. You also have an enormous history of doing this to other people and you don't have to go far to find it.

No one believes your "I have no choice" BS because even if you're in a bad position all you have to do is set the right expectations with your customers like "my kegs can sometimes take a while due to the enormous ammounts of orders I recieve. Please let me know if you're needing them by a certain time so we can be clear from the start" instead of your most orders are sent withing three days. Theres nothing that says "hi, i'll take your money and you might not see an item for over a month sometimes longer. " Us homebrewers are a close knit bunch. Screwing over a lot of us will hopefully result in the end of your business.

You sir are obviously dillusional.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: Your Post
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 18:23:24 -0500

Yes I did send an email and yes I did refund your $$$. I’m not in the position I’m in because I want to be here or like being here, I have no choice.
Thanks,

Tom Hargrave

Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 4:23 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Your Post

WOW you actually sent me an email! Thats all you gotta do I guess to get a response from you is to post on your board. You're burning to many people Tom. All I want is my money back like you promised on 3/20.

Subject: Your Post
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 18:50:56 -0500

Nathan,
I out time into this board when I can and what time I put into it is minimal – less than 30 minutes / day.

Thanks,

Tom Hargrave

Tom should stick to local business where people can see what they are buying since it is not on the shelf.

I wonder if he has empty shelves with prices on them and makes people buy kegs and stuff that he does not have in stock. Then maybe, just maybe they come back in 3 to 5 weeks and the items are magically on the shelf and they can take one home.

I don't think this happens in his store and there is no reason to list SKUs for sale when you do not have them in stock. Many of the other REAL online HBS will actually show if an item is in stock. Many of the REAL online HBSs will call you if an item is delayed more than a day. Williams did this to me as I ordered a quantity of one item and it took all there stock. They called me the same day to tell me they were 3 units short, but would have it in 3 days.

Does Tom bother to do this? Based on the number of complaints, he obviously thinks the customers are clairvoyant and takes their money anyway with ZERO feedback as to a reasonable expecation of a delivery date. That level of service in itself is unacceptable and alone is a reason to steer clear of kegkits.com and Tom Hargrave.

Nice! I just got my refund from Tom with an apology. It took a while (over three months) but I should be seeing it shortly. (I know I'm not out of the woods yet but he gave me a copy of the refund request). Apparently you just need to find a way to get his attention. Catching him on his blog was the way to go.:D

THIS IS FROM MR. TOM HARGRAVE HIMSELF:

Re: (No subject)
« Sent to: reddskinnfan on: May 30, 2009, 11:56:40 AM »

I agree completely, unfortunately I'm stuck in the position I am in right now. And I only have three choices.

1. Go out of business
2. Work even more hours than I already am & find pieces to off-load
3. Sell the business

I chose #2 for now, the other two are still open.

The issue is that I am competing with some big guys and in many cases, they can sell for less than what I buy material for. This forces me to keep prices much lower than they should be and squeezes most profit out of the center.

WOW...as a n00b to this whole thing I was looking at getting some items. Not now. I signed up on his forum as well. Won't be there again.

A place that's done this to too many people can't be turned around. In my life I've never seen it happen. Tom if you're reading this, chose #1. You're out of your element.

I ordered and was charged on May 21st. I just received my order today and it showed a postmark of June 3rd. Slow but I did receive the complete order.

Wow glad I found this thread. I was going to buy a brew kettle from him. Now I think I will spend an extra $20 and get it from AHS.

This just in AHA TechTalk Vol. 09-0630

Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:38 AM
Subject: Buyers Beware

This is a heads up and a few tips for all those thinking of doing business with a certain homebrew business. I won't call out said business or tell you not to do business with them (no personal attacks), but do your part and keep your eyes open. Even if you've had a good experience in the past, now would be a good time to look up a company's reputation that you're thinking of doing business with. I know I and many others wish they had. There just may be a company out there teetering on bankruptcy but that's still taking orders and not filling them. A good price and fancy website doesn't mean you'll get your items after you pay for them, and the phone and email requests for info will go unanswered...for months. Yes that's plural.

Few tips:
- Good place to start is the Better Business Bureau (United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings) , but failing that just look up the company's name and read some of the forums out there.
- Don't pay with Paypal...your credit card company offers better protection.
- If you have the worst retail experience you've ever had, spread the word. We're a community here.

Frauded and jaded,
Worcester MA

Name and Email address Omitted for Privacy

Looks Like Finally somebody took it to that group.

Looks like someone posted a comment about him in today's AHA TechTalk. They didn't name him specifically, but it sounds like him to a tee...this might get interesting...

(EDIT) SOmebody beat me to the post ^^^^^

I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by my state (MD) attorney general's office after filing a complaint. They said that his actions were criminal and they "would love to prosecute" him. I sent them over all the details I had, and I'm waiting to see what happens. I just got a letter today from the AL attorney general's office too, saying they had received my complaint and will look into it, but have a large backlog at the moment.

I ordered a single tap kit from him a few months ago. A couple hundred phone calls and e-mails later, I canceled the charge through my bank and went my LHBS and bought a kit. A month ago, I received a 5lb CO2 tank from him and nothing else... and this is waaaay after I cancelled my order. Random. I'd ship it back to him if he asked me and covered the expense, but I don't think that'll happen. Looks like I just got myself a free tank.

I'm still waiting for the kegs I ordered from this tool on April 16th. What's worse, is that there was a mistake in the portion of the order that did ship (Sent the wrong length shanks). Amazingly, I was able to get him on the phone and he sent me the the correct sized shanks.

I then sent the incorrectly sized shanks back to him, at my expense. I figured I'd do the right thing and that the beer karma gods would reward me. Now I'm fuming that I spent my even more of my money to the benefit of this fraudster.

I'm still waiting for the kegs I ordered from this tool on April 16th. What's worse, is that there was a mistake in the portion of the order that did ship (Sent the wrong length shanks). Amazingly, I was able to get him on the phone and he sent me the the correct sized shanks.

I then sent the incorrectly sized shanks back to him, at my expense. I figured I'd do the right thing and that the beer karma gods would reward me. Now I'm fuming that I spent my even more of my money to the benefit of this fraudster.

You need to compare notes with masonsjax (see above) and talk to MD attorney general's office. Sounds like they might take some action.

I purchased 2 CO2 regulators back in March and paid extra to have them shipped UPS. I then waited and after three weeks and no email confirming the shippment I proceeded to call the number listed on the web site. After numerous calls and emails, I finally received an email saying my tracking number. The catch, it was never received by USPS according to their web site. If I had wanted USPS shipping method, I would have paid for it. I then emailed him and told him that if he proceeded to ship this method, I would not receive the regulators because he didn't have the proper address. I receive all my mail to my PO Box and I gave him my physical address which doesn't receive ANY mail what so ever. I made a point of it after it was being stolen. I told Thomas all of this in an email.

Another 3 weeks went by and in the mean time I had looked him and his business on the BBB. I wish I had looked at his rating before making a purchase. I told him to send my money back immediately or I would report him to the BBB. Still nothing. I then reported him and still heard nothing. I then told him firmly I want a refund for the merchandies I never received and the waiting period of over 6 weeks is very unprofessional. I still checked the USPS tracking number he emailed me and it the said it shipped! I never received it, now being almost 4 months. I've since reported him with my bank and recieved a credit back to my account and reported him to the BBB in which they told me they contacted him numerous times in which he refused to respond. So now he's out the regulators he supposedly shipped and the money he tried to scam from me!

The only reason I go into this is I hope to spare someone else this mistake. Thomas Hargrave only wastes your time and makes you more angry! Don't buy from him or kegkits.com!

Well the phone numbers works but nobady ever answers and he won't reply to emails, also I cannot seem to find this blog that a few of you have mentioned so he must have removed it from his page. This guy is killing me!!!! Wish I had read this thread before ordering. So my story is..
I ordered about a fifty dollar order from Tom on June 19th, it is now July 7th and I have not heard a single word from him, I have not recieved the email stating the items have shipped nor have I ever been able to talk to him just to check the status of the order, I am stuck not being able to brew becasue I am waiting on a new thermometer because I recently found that the one I was using was reading incorrect temps, at this point I am almost out of beer that is ready to drink a state I have not been in months! I am getting pissed off but there is nothing I can do about it but wait... so I wait...

ALL I CAN SAY IS DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE LOW PRICES THAT KEGKITS ADVERTISES, PAY THE EXTRA BUCK OR TWO AND GET YOU ITMES IN THE NORMAL AMERICAN AMOUNT OF TIME. BEWARE OF KEGKITS.COM!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the phone numbers works but nobady ever answers and he won't reply to emails, also I cannot seem to find this blog that a few of you have mentioned so he must have removed it from his page. This guy is killing me!!!! Wish I had read this thread before ordering. So my story is..
I ordered about a fifty dollar order from Tom on June 19th, it is now July 7th and I have not heard a single word from him, I have not recieved the email stating the items have shipped nor have I ever been able to talk to him just to check the status of the order, I am stuck not being able to brew becasue I am waiting on a new thermometer because I recently found that the one I was using was reading incorrect temps, at this point I am almost out of beer that is ready to drink a state I have not been in months! I am getting pissed off but there is nothing I can do about it but wait... so I wait...

ALL I CAN SAY IS DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE LOW PRICES THAT KEGKITS ADVERTISES, PAY THE EXTRA BUCK OR TWO AND GET YOU ITMES IN THE NORMAL AMERICAN AMOUNT OF TIME. BEWARE OF KEGKITS.COM!!!!!!!!!!!

Make a claim with your credit card company or PayPal. Then, file a report with your state's Attorney General as well as Alabama's Attorney General. Doing nothing is what he expects you to do, do something and you get a response I bet.

Summary of my expereince:

6/11: Ordered about $50 worth of small parts... some quick disconnects and miscellaneous fittings. Requested USPS shipping. Received an email confirmation and my PayPal account was charged.
6/20: Order not received. Sent an email requesting status.
6/29: Order still not recieved and no response. Sent another email requesting status.
7/1: Received a notice that "package was shipped to you on 07/02/2009 via U.S. Postal Service Priority Mail."
7/6: Order received in full.

Badly delayed shipping, and almost no communication at all. I won't purchase from this vendor again.

Pretty pathetic. Order from any "real" business and you will get it in a few days after receiving order confirmation and shipping confirmation with tracking number.

It took almost a month to get your order and no response to your frequent requests for status.

Pathetic customer service from kegkits.com and Tom Hargrave.

First off, I am from huntsville. I came across his website today and thought to myself, wow a LHBS i can support! the kegkits name sounded familiar. i thought let me check HBT... sure enough. thanks for the sticky. glad i didn't waste a dime trying to support this ****er. hope everyone gets their issues resolved.

Three weeks today and I have not heard a single word about my order. I am getting ready to book a flight...:mad:

Anyone capable of hacking his site? Just curious.

This is why I joined this forum and why I like it. I just deleted KegKits.com from my HUGE list of beer related bookmarks.

Thanks for the info

Anyone have contacts with the AHA? Protecting homebrewers is something they say is a big part of what they do. Protecting them from being ripped off should be right up there as well.

Man... you know he's the first result when you google "used corny kegs"?

That kinda sucks...

I just found out that you can make a public comment on a google search result. I added a comment to it linking back to this thread.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or whether it will even be posted however people needed to be warned to stay away from this company.
I don't want to mention the company's name, just make sure to read their own online forum for customer's comments before ordering.:mug:

I see the option to leave a comment, but where does that comment go?

When I added mine it shows up right underneath the search link when I google it. Not sure if it shows up for other users, but it says it is supposed to be public.

I live in the Huntsville area and have purchased the majority of my brewing equipment from kegkits. Please don't try to ruin his business. Kegkits is the only decent LHBS we have around here! I can understand the frustration over the delays. However, Tom works full-time as a programmer I believe. He is usually only at the store on Friday evenings and part of the day Saturday, and that's assuming he doesn't have other family issues getting in the way. He runs the store completely by himself. While that doesn't excuse slow feedback and poor customer service, it may at least help explain it somewhat. Also, I'm not sure how much of the keg equipment he actually keeps in inventory. I went out there last weekend and he had run out of about half the hop varieties listed on his site. It's possible his filling of the keg orders is dependent on him making a trip out to his suppliers, and as a one-man operation, he can't do that as frequently as you (or he) might like.

That's all understandable however the slow service and the lack of replies to inquiries should be clearly disclosed on the website. Kegkits.com deserves the reputation they've developed.

If the guy can't keep up on his online orders, he needs to take down his site. Maybe he is good to the people around Huntsville, but he is breaking laws and violating trusts of people. I would never do business with this guy. We have too many people here that will sell you products and do it in a timely manner. PedalBiker, Nikobrew, Austinhomebrew, CBC, and the like are all upstanding businesspeople with good reputations.

Some people aren't meant to run businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back