Fermenting in Freezer Chest...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figgy15

Reaction score
Hello Homebrew Community. First time posting and about to be first time brewer. I am getting ready to brew my first batch...a CRibou Slobber Brown Ale. I have a chest freezer in my garage. Also have a Johnson analog temp controller. For the ale I know my fermenting environment has to be between 67-70 degrees. Now I live in Albuquerque, where the nights can drop to 30 degrees. Any advice on how I can keep the chest freezer at that temp range. I just checked the temp now (9:04pm) and it's 50 degrees in it. Any help to this newbie will
Be greatly appreciated. .

You'll need to put some sort of heating source in your freezer. Some use an electric heating pad or wrap. I put a reptile heater bulb in mine. You'll need to hook it up to the temp controller. If it gets cold at night and warm during the day like it does where I live, you'll need a controller that has two stages instead of one.

Thanks for the info. I'll def look into a two stage controller and a lamp and see what the cost is. More advice welcomed.

Preferably less expensive way of doing it. Just want to make sure there are other options before electing to spend more.

I have a small space heater in mine that has it's own thermostat that I can set as low as 40℉ that way it doesn't need another temp controller/dual stage controller. I got it at Wal-Mart a few years ago for like $40.

If you have a dual stage controller though the lightbulb in a coffee can seems to be a good way to go.

Another option for ales is to get a submersible aquarium heater and have it in a jar of water in the freezer set at about 72-75℉. I've found this setting useful in heating my 7cu. Ft freezer to about 67℉.

There's an easy (free) way to open the A19 and re-wire it (move a wire from one terminal to the another) and it becomes a heater controller. I.e., right now, the internal relay closes and powers the fridge when the temp gets above a setpoint. Rewired, it will power something (heater) when the temperature goes below the setpoint.

Refer to the A19 datasheet for more information. It is possible that your version of the A19 doesn't have this additional terminal on the relay, but mine did and I rewired mine.

For a heater, there are some 100W $10 heaters on amazon. but you could just as easily use a light bulb. Any 100W - 200W appliance will do. All electrical power turns to heat.

So if I put a small space heater in the freezer and set it to 65 degress, then I set my analog controller to 70 degress (So that freezer will turn if it hits 70), that should be enough to always keep the temperature between 65-70 degrees no matter what the external temp is in my garage?

So if I put a small space heater in the freezer and set it to 65 degress, then I set my analog controller to 70 degress (So that freezer will turn if it hits 70), that should be enough to always keep the temperature between 65-70 degrees no matter what the external temp is in my garage?

Not sure if you are replying to me, but that's not what I was saying. I was suggesting you unplug the fridge completely and use the A19 to control a light bulb. It's a temporary solution for when it's really cold. I think what you really need is a dual-stage controller. Search STC-1000 on this forum - it's a DIY build. There are some nice ready-to-go controllers, too.

Thanks passedpawn and sfgoat....

So if I get the STC-1000, I would connect the freezer to the cold relay and a light bulb to the heat relay. Set the freezer to kick on if the temp goes above 68-70 degrees and set the bulb to turn on and begin to heat if the temp goes below 68-70. Did I get that right?

Thanks again for everyones advice.

FWIW, I suggest the Lasko Personal Ceramic heater you can get on Amazon for 18 bucks over a lightbulb setup.

1) It doesnt get so incredibly hot as a lightbulb, which can be a fire risk...but its hot enough to keep my upright freezer @ 65-70f when its below freezing in the garage...im sure it can go higher i just have no reason too.

2) It has a built in fan, keeps the air a more constant temperature rather than having one giant heat source with no fan.

3) It has an auto shut off...if something goes wrong with your Sensor for whatever reason and it gets stuck on, it will turn off if i think if it gets over 100F or something...your beer may be ruined, but atleast you didnt start a fire or melt the inside of your fridge by leaving a lightbulb on in an enclosed space for who knows how long...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XDTWN2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I know some people are ok with it, but personally the thought of leaving a scorching hot light bulb in an enclosed space seems like a horrible fire risk to me. Things break...and if my temperature controller does i dont want to also burn my house down...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, this is essentially what I do. Might want to be sure what the set range is on your heater. For instance, some of them click on at 5° below their set temp and then shut off at 5° above their set temp. They are usually pretty decent in such a small space.

Thanks passedpawn and sfgoat....

So if I get the STC-1000, I would connect the freezer to the cold relay and a light bulb to the heat relay. Set the freezer to kick on if the temp goes above 68-70 degrees and set the bulb to turn on and begin to heat if the temp goes below 68-70. Did I get that right?

Thanks again for everyones advice.

You got it.

I do the same thing. Chest freezer in the unheated garage with an analog temp controller.

Before doing anything, you might want to verify that the temperature in the freezer is actually dropping. Mine maintains temp when it cools off. For instance, it's 17 degrees here in Milton, FL right now and the internal temp in the freezer is 36. The setting on the controller is set at 36. The freezer is very well insulated, so it doesn't seem to be affected by the nightly temperature drops. Not to say that if the outside temp was a sustained 17, I wouldn't have a problem. Just saying that it maintains temps over night.

So it seems the majority believes a two stage controller is the way to go and use a lamp or heating lamp.

I mentioned a lamp, but I would recommend a small heater as was suggested above. It's what I use. Amazon has bunch of really cheap ones.

Is there any particular heater you recommend? I'm looking into the lasko as per fuzze's recommendation.

Remember that it's the temperature of the BEER you want to control, not the ambient temperature of the environment the fermenter is in! I can't tell from this thread which it is that you intend to control. 67F in the freezer will make your beer much too warm during early stages of fermentation.

Ohhh...well the beer I'm brewing calls for the following:
Type: Two Stage
Primary
Primary Time: 7.0 days
Temperature: 68.0 F - 68.0 F
Secondary
Secondary Time: 20.0 days
Temperature: 50.0 F - 50.0 F

What would u recommend?
Thank you for helping out this newbie.

Either put the temp probe in the beer using a thermowell, or tape it to the side of the fermenter with some insulation outside the probe. That should keep your beer the correct temperature.

Pay no heed to the 7 days primary thing. Keep it in the primary until the gravity is stable. Secondary is optional. I usually start checking my gravity after a couple of weeks in primary.

I use flexwatt heat tape, it is -20 c. (-4 f.) here right now and that little bit of tape has no problem keeping my freezer at 65 f. It is actually not tape, it is like a plastic sheet that warms up. I read about it in a fermentation chamber blog entry, works like a charm and throws no light.

Great advice all. Lot to go on but will try all and see which suits best. Thank you all for your input and will post what I ended up doing and how it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot I had a space heater >>>> http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix...Purpose-Ceramic-Heater-Black-CZ442WM/21899614.

So now I have the space heater on low setting and the thermostat about half way turned. I have the freezer plugged into the A19 controller and have that set to 70 degrees. Had it running for about an hour and just checked it. Temp inside freezer is 120 degrees! I'm guessing i just have to find
The right balance. Any suggestions?

I forgot I had a space heater >>>> http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix...Purpose-Ceramic-Heater-Black-CZ442WM/21899614.

So now I have the space heater on low setting and the thermostat about half way turned. I have the freezer plugged into the A19 controller and have that set to 70 degrees. Had it running for about an hour and just checked it. Temp inside freezer is 120 degrees! I'm guessing i just have to find
The right balance. Any suggestions?
You'll want to use a heater with a digital thermostat for accuracy.

Look up the STC-1000 on the forum if you want a cheap, easy to build controller. I followed the instructions and it works perfectly (mine doesn't look pretty, but it works!)

So I order the STC-1000 and found a great video on how to wire it. Will update once I complete it. Wish me luck lol.

My brewing motto should be 'if I can do it, anyone can'. Mine looks like a blind woodsman made it, but it is safe and works perfectly.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

My brewing motto should be 'if I can do it, anyone can'. Mine looks like a blind woodsman made it, but it is safe and works perfectly.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Lol. I'll def. let you know. I should be getting it on Friday.

Yea use a STC1000... being in NM might be harder, but in most places you can get away with no freezer plugged in all winter and only heat the space..save a bunch of energy and lifespan on your freezer with it always combatting the heater cycling on and off.

I use a Brewers Edge Space Heater. It's just stuck to the middle of the back wall of my 7.2cf chest freezer and plugged into the "hot" side of my STC-1000 controller.

I live in Phoenix, so there's no polar vortex to contend with. But night time temperatures routinely drop into the low 40s, sometimes below freezing. As advertized, it has never had trouble maintaining the temperature of my fermenting beer even when the temperature in my garage is 25F cooler than the set temperature.

The thing is, as chilly as it gets at night here, it always seems to warm back up into the 60s or 70s during the day this time of year :mug:, so I'm sure that helps.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389411842.989773.jpg

So far so good right?

Looks fantastic, much better than mine! I made the wonderful discovery that the outdoor boxes have much thicker plastic (or whatever material it is) which, coupled with a dremel being the only thing I had to cut with, meant it took me an hour to just cut out one rectangle.

The nice thing about the STC-1000, which you have already discovered no doubt, is that you can control the range it allows the temperature to move before heating/cooling kicks in. So, as Fuzze said, in the winter just my heater kicks in (my reptile tape that is dead simple to work with), and in the summer just the freezer kicks in. By setting a reasonable gap you can keep the freezer from having to cycle every minute, so you aren't killing it.

The awesome bonus is now you can do lagering and all that cool stuff with great precision, a controlled fermentation chamber opens up lots of possibilities. And, if the experts are right, is one the key things in making really good beer.

Let me know how it runs :mug:

Looks fantastic, much better than mine! I made the wonderful discovery that the outdoor boxes have much thicker plastic (or whatever material it is) which, coupled with a dremel being the only thing I had to cut with, meant it took me an hour to just cut out one rectangle.

The nice thing about the STC-1000, which you have already discovered no doubt, is that you can control the range it allows the temperature to move before heating/cooling kicks in. So, as Fuzze said, in the winter just my heater kicks in (my reptile tape that is dead simple to work with), and in the summer just the freezer kicks in. By setting a reasonable gap you can keep the freezer from having to cycle every minute, so you aren't killing it.

The awesome bonus is now you can do lagering and all that cool stuff with great precision, a controlled fermentation chamber opens up lots of possibilities. And, if the experts are right, is one the key things in making really good beer.

Let me know how it runs :mug:

Thanks bobby4....I'm actually going to do the wiring today after work then make some starter yeast and test it out. Will def. keep posting updates or questions if I hit a wall lol.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389497415.116642.jpg

It works!!!!! Now trying to figure out how to set it lol. Oddly enough the controller didnt come with instructions!! can someone tell me how to set it. I need to keep my freezer chest between 68-70 degrees (20-22 degrees Celsius).

So from reading other posts...I believe I got the setup. Please tell me if I'm on the right course here.

Target temp is 70 degrees F. Fermenting Brown Ale:
1. Set F1 temp to 21C.
2. Set F2 to +/- 1 >>>> this will keep the
Freezer between a range of 20-22C. If it drops to 19C, the heater will turn on. If it rises to 23C, the cooler will turn on.
3. Set F3 to default of 3.
4. F4 doesn' matter.

Thoughts????

Back