Need AG honey porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one I did that worked out pretty well. Mash a little high 154-155 for a sweeter finish and good mouthfeel

• 10 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
• 12 oz. Crystal 90L Malt
• 12 oz. Chocolate Malt
• 10 oz Honey Malt
• 12 oz. Honey (added at flame out)
• 1.5 oz. Fuggles (60 minutes)
• 0.5 oz. Fuggles (at flame out)
• Wyeast 1098

Check out my recipe in my drop down recipe thing. You can add honey if you want to raise the ABV but all the honey flavor comes from the honey malt. With 13 pounds of grains I hit around 5% on a six gallon batch. I added a little raspberry extract to half of mine at bottling time and really liked it.

You can certainly add the honey at flame out, but honey is ultra fermentable... and if you add it before primary fermentation, the only real effect will be a higher gravity. Yes, perhaps some flavor can/will transfer, but if you want a real honey flavor, Id look at adding it as you rack into secondary fermentation.

Ive had good success with that method. If you do end up doing it this way, make sure you pasteurize the honey since most honey has natural and abundant wild yeasts. I made the mistake of rolling the dice the first time I tried it and the result was a bad version of Mad Dog.

Back