Not a brewing rut...just a lack of will

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
You know when you reach that point where you feel like you have brewed enough beer to be happy and realize that you are happy, but lack the will to brew another batch right away. I feel kinda bad because I have like six kegs full of beer that I am not drinking for some strange reason. Then I have two fermenters that I really really need to bottle or keg because they have been in there for about a month and it is time. Then there are some Lambics that are aging and I can't touch them, so no matter there. Two little whiskey barrels that need filling and I have promised a barleywine to them, though haven't brewed them. And I keep telling myself that I am going to barrel age a beer, and I have to get over to my friends to brew on his equipment to fill and age the barrel. This is torture for me, I really do want to brew but I can't find the will to do it. It is time to kick of the new year and get it going!

To top it all off, I think that the reason I am so pissy about doing it again is that I just brewed with Muni water for the second time and am dreading the results. They haven't tasted good and I now have ten gallons to put into something and choke down. I picked up a water filter since and need to hook it up. It just seems like I need a vehicle to mount my various sundries onto in order to not have to drag them all out every time I want to brew.

All right, enough bitching, I just had to get that out there and now I am finished. Good day to you all :mug:

Most homebrewers have slumps. I've been drinking my Ordinary Bitter out of the fermenter, rather than face clearing out the conditioning cabinet and rebuilding a few kegs. It's 8C in the brewery, which isn't conducive to getting any work done, but near ideal for serving an OB.

Ditto. Had to force myself to bottle two batches last weekend, and I have another 7 gal of Apfelwein to bottle but I just don't want to face moving that damn carboy. And it's WAY too cold to brew. I got pneumonia a couple weeks ago and just haven't felt like drinking. At least the pipeline is full.

I have apfelwein that needs bottling and I just can't bring myself to put it together. I have the champagne bottles all ready, the yeast, the caps, everything. Just not really digging having to go out and do it. Oh well.

fullmetaljacket.jpg

What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?

Now light the burner and get a brewing:mug:

I'm on the tail end of one of these slumps, the holidays has a lot to do with it. For me anyway. I'm gonna enter some brews in my first competition this year, so that has gotten the juices flowing again. Also gonna brew up a couple of batches for my Brother in-laws wedding. Gives ya something to work towards, and forces you to set some goals.

And it's WAY too cold to brew.

I've been spoiled brewing in the warmth of my apartment kitchen on the gas stove the past few batches :rockin:... My 15 gal. pot is big enough to cover 2 burners and get a nice rippin' boil going... I connect my chiller to the sink. I take the washing machine hose off usual water source & connect to my IC output & after I'm done chilling, I do my laundry. During the boil I setup a fan push the humid heat out to warm/humidify my desert dry forced hot air heated living room. How's that for Brew day multi-tasking!

I've been spoiled brewing in the warmth of my apartment on the gas stove the past few batches:rockin:... My 15 gal. pot is big enough to cover 2 burners and get a nice rippin' boil. I connect my IC to the sink w/ hose adapter, disconnect the hose that runs to the washing machine & connect to my IC output & do my laundry. I setup a fan and use the humid heat of the boil to warm/humidify my desert dry forced HA living room. How's that for Brew day multi-tasking!

Wait.... what? speak English!

Or maybe you are. had a home brew (pumpkin porter) and now some Makers Marks... Perhaps I am reading minbari?

There was a thread a while back asking whether people hit slumps in their brewing where the results were not bad, just kind of boring. At that time I was on major roll producing one great beer after another.

Then I went on a brewing binge and now have seven beers on tap and I am bored with every single one of them. I haven't brewed in a couple months and I even had a starter that I did that hung around around so long that it smelled funky so I threw it out.

I also am drinking almost zero beer. Maybe two pints per week. And often I don't even finish the pints I pull.

I guess you could definitely say that I am in a slump right now. So I feel for you brother.

Most homebrewers have slumps. I've been drinking my Ordinary Bitter out of the fermenter, rather than face clearing out the conditioning cabinet and rebuilding a few kegs.

I've never drank out of the fermenter, but I've run out of beer because I haven't torn down any kegs. I have fourteen of them so there's no excuse. Just before Christmas I ran out and had 30 gallons I had to keg and another 20 that had to be racked into the vacated carboys. I like brewing, but I hate the housekeeping that comes with it.

You know when you reach that point where you feel like you have brewed enough beer to be happy and realize that you are happy, but lack the will to brew another batch right away. I feel kinda bad because I have like six kegs full of beer that I am not drinking for some strange reason. Then I have two fermenters that I really really need to bottle or keg because they have been in there for about a month and it is time. Then there are some Lambics that are aging and I can't touch them, so no matter there. Two little whiskey barrels that need filling and I have promised a barleywine to them, though haven't brewed them. And I keep telling myself that I am going to barrel age a beer, and I have to get over to my friends to brew on his equipment to fill and age the barrel. This is torture for me, I really do want to brew but I can't find the will to do it. It is time to kick of the new year and get it going!

To top it all off, I think that the reason I am so pissy about doing it again is that I just brewed with Muni water for the second time and am dreading the results. They haven't tasted good and I now have ten gallons to put into something and choke down. I picked up a water filter since and need to hook it up. It just seems like I need a vehicle to mount my various sundries onto in order to not have to drag them all out every time I want to brew.

All right, enough bitching, I just had to get that out there and now I am finished. Good day to you all :mug:

i'll be there in 2 hours to collect the kegs.

Wait.... what? speak English!

Or maybe you are. had a home brew (pumpkin porter) and now some Makers Marks... Perhaps I am reading minbari?

Hahaha, I made the post a little more understandable. I don't know...when I originally posted I thought it made sense to me, though I've been pulling pints of Prima Pils all night because I'm awaiting the 15gal of homebrew I've got fermenting now!

I like brewing, but I hate the housekeeping that comes with it.

Here, here. I've got 20gal. that I need to action but I just don't feel like doing it. Most likely draining the pipeline will server as motivation to get going on it.

I think this happens to everyone. I'll go 3 or 4 months without touching the equipment and then make 4 batches in 6 weeks. My goal for this year is to brew beer I want to drink and can't get easily (or too cheap) from local stores.

I was in a big brewing slump most of last spring and all summer. Last fall got things going again doing half a dozen batches of beer plus getting into wine making a little more with 2 batches started late in the year. Hopefully I won't have a repeat slump this year.

I think that part of the reason is that I did brew so much and they were all really tasty batches and then I brewed up the one bad one and it just killed the high. Now I am looking for a way to get rid of the bad one or praying it gets better. I am going to be brewing in like two weeks for sure and maybe once just before that. I just got my little barrels ready to have beer put into them, so maybe I will attempt something this friday.

Back