Story of my life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiren

Reaction score
I just racked my kolsch into the secondary today. So I took the primary outside to clean it. Every time I thought it was clean, I would see a small patch of krausen, so I would have to re-brush the insides. I finally got it all out. Good thing it was not a HEAVY krausen. However, I looked at the bottom and even though the outside is SMOOOOTH, the inside is not, and it looks like there is some trub in the nooks and cranies. My brush is not long enough to reach the bottom, so I will have to get a new LONGER brush.

I just read a post and saw PBW and it said PBW will take care of anything you can throw at it. Does that mean I could have soaked my glass carboy in that and it would have gotten all the nasties out of it with no elbow grease needed, both where the krausen line was and the bottom with the trub?

Thank you in advance.

Yup.
Actually, I soak in bleach solution, not PBW, but soaking is definately the way to go. Let time and chemicals to your work for you.
Lots of folks swear by the oxyclean, too.

Oxyclean and water soak overnight will do the trick too.

:pulling out his flame proof suit...

or you could fill it with water and add a few ounces of bleach overnight.

either way, you probably will not even need to scrub hard at all.

I love the oxyclean. It works like a charm and gets off the hardest krauesen rings and trub imaginable. I add one scoop of the oxyclean to the carboy, and fill it up with hot tap water, continuing to pour water in until the water is right up to the top of the carboy. I let it sit one hour, rinse, and the thing is absolutely spotless.:mug:

Orpheus said:
I love the oxyclean. It works like a charm and gets off the hardest krauesen rings and trub imaginable. I add one scoop of the oxyclean to the carboy, and fill it up with hot tap water, continuing to pour water in until the water is right up to the top of the carboy. I let it sit one hour, rinse, and the thing is absolutely spotless.:mug:

Is that stuff good on the plastic buckets as well? Or just the glass carboys? And it has to be the "free" type right?

Another Oxymoron chiming in! Try it once, you will never use your carboy brush again. Mine is covered in dust now.

I use it on everything from glass carboys to plastic buckets to SS kegs. No problem, and yes, I use the "Free" version.

Latest posts

Back