Equip for all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
K I'm considering moving up
To all grain but have no idea what additional equip I'm going to need to get started so any help
Would be appreciated

You need a BIG pot, you can do brew in a bag; or get a HLT and MT. The spending is limitless. But you need a BIGASS pot, I like keggel's. Have you LHBS grind your grain and brew it like a big 14lb tea bag. You should meet other board members and brew on their rigs and see what you like.. NOTE, Just when you think the pot your buying is to big, get the next size bigger.

It depends on what you already have, how much you want to spend and the batch size you want to brew. I just made the leap from partial mash to all grain this week. For pots try the Winware professional aluminum pot in Amazon, well made, thick and like $45 for the 40 qt one

consider checking out deathbrewer's BIAB sticky? that's a pretty minimal way to get into it. I get by with a 10gal stainless, 5gal gatorade cooler and a 7.5gal turkey fryer.

I did pretty good on my first two batches with the 8 gal pot (heavy duty), a 5 gal pot (not heavy duty), a 5 gal rubbermaid cooler as mashtun with false bottom, a grain bag to boil my hops, a floating thermometer (used to check strike and sparge water, not for boiling liquids), another floating thermometer or electrnic thermometer to monitor mash temp, a large spoon/paddle and a wort chiller (not needed but worth every penny). If you shop around you can get all of this for about $200, but you might have most of this equipment for extract brewing so should be less.

"The spending is limitless."
How true.I'll second the Brew in a bag option.That's how I transitioned and I'd still be doing it if I hadn't wanted to move to
10 Gallon batches.

NOTE said:
I couldnt agree with this more. I wish i could just have a giant industrial sized mash tun tanker. I have a ten gallon pot, brewed a partigyle the other day and learned fast why have a 15 or even a 40 gallon pot makes much more sense to have. the more you begin to brew the more beer you want to make at one time, especially partigyle brews.

Latest posts

Back