What do I do with these short term

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So my mom was given these hop bines from a guy that she works with who cultivates the hop rhizomes for the farm they work at. However she tells me he cut some for me and drops these off yesterday, I have nowhere to put them, no trellis, no lattice, not even a chain link to run them through, I don't even know where I'd put them in my backyard. So for the short term what can I do with these, the one looks like it's ready to be transplanted and take off. I'm in a crunch here, any suggestions? I was. Thinking of just dropping a couple 8-10' posts in then transplanting these to larger potters and just going from there for this year anyway.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430741784.130114.jpg

Turns out these are from from very old cascade rhizomes developed by coors co. So it'd def be cool to keep these going.

I'm no expert here, but I'd get them in some dirt (pot or ground) ASAP and add some posts if you could. Personally I have landscape timbers (8 ft.) in my yard that I am using. Those cost $2 each at Home Depot. Then maybe add some twine running up to the top of the post.

You could always do the "teepee" method where you have one post in the center and multiple lines of twine running to the top from stakes in the ground. That would probably be your easiest and cheapest option for now.

Too bad you don't know what they are!!

This is a swing set in my backyard. My kids are still to young to use it and I plan on cleaning it up when they are old enough. However I'm thinking of just transplanting these bines into two large pots and then drilling an eye bolt into the crossbeam then just run twin down to stakes in the ground, the top bean is atleast 10' off the ground if not more. Think this would work for atleast this year then next year I can get a more permanent spot. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430747896.601270.jpg

If you plant them on the left side of the swing set, running ropes diagonally from the ground to the end of the beam, you would gain few more feet.

If you plant them by that swing set, they will be there forever...unless you want to do a lot of digging and Round up application. But that may kill the grass and what not.

If you really don't know where to go, put them in some pots, 5 gallon buckets, trash cans, whatever you can and let them grow. If you know where you want them, plant them and worry about a trellis later. They will grow on the ground, they just won't produce any cones. In fact many commercial growers just leave them untrained the first year so they turn into a big bushy pile of bines. Its fine. They are developing root.

If you plant them by that swing set, they will be there forever...unless you want to do a lot of digging and Round up application. But that may kill the grass and what not.

If you really don't know where to go, put them in some pots, 5 gallon buckets, trash cans, whatever you can and let them grow. If you know where you want them, plant them and worry about a trellis later. They will grow on the ground, they just won't produce any cones. In fact many commercial growers just leave them untrained the first year so they turn into a big bushy pile of bines. Its fine. They are developing root.

I'm not going to plant them by the swing set I'm going to grow them out of pots this year but use the swing set to string the twine up to, it's about 10' to the top beam. Then next year I'll build my trellis and actually plant them in a permanent spot.

Or you just plant them there and by the time the kids are big enough to use the swing set they end up playing Tarzan by swinging from bine to bine instead of using swings. Just think about it.

Back