Brewing and Boots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you wear brewing boots

• Yes, it is the required uniform.

• No, but I should

• No, only faeries wear boots.

• cmdr Taco wears boots.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Texas you can go shoeless almost 90% of the time. So I do....but I also "Weed Eat" and mow the lawn barefooted. Of course while drinking Home Brew. Never said I was smart....still got all my fingers and toes though.

Go figure, I'm pretty adamant about wearing water resistent footwear and long pants when brewing but I'll grind metal in shorts. Along with wearing long guantlet rubber gloves, I also want to get myself a nice Overbrook Brewery dickey **** printed up with the embroidered name patch.

Hiking shoes/boots usually. I brew in my garage so barefoot isn't the best way to go.

When I brew I wear about the same footwear I use for commercial kitchens, usually some sort of reinforced-toe clog. The same considerations apply. You've got to balance hot liquids, live burners, knives (in commercial kitchens), electrical outlets, and lots and lots of running water. In a commercial kitchen I'll go for more toe and ankle protection (spend some time ankle-deep in 400° oil from a failed fryer valve and you'll appreciate the value of good work boots), and when I'm brewing I'll go for more water-resistance. I generally keep a pair of no-hole Crocs on my back deck because they are great for slipping on and off during a brew day without tracking hop crud into the house. If they get too funky they can go through the dishwasher.

Chad

Sandles(No Socks) Summer brewing, Sandles(W/ Socks) Winter brewing. I wear steel toe/shank eday at work so at home I'm either barefoot or in sandles. Not the best idea for brew day but darn comfy.

Real brewers wear Muck Boots or LaCrosses. No way am I going barefoot around here. You have not see the local millipedes or leopard slugs. Last time I was outside barefoot, a freak'n weasel bit my toe!

since I brew inside and I have carpet, I brew barefoot.

with that said, I just bought a sq14 so I will be part of the shoe maybe even boot crowd!

XtraTufs boots here. Or as they are known around here "Southeast Sneakers". We wear them because its raining all the time. I wish I could brew bearfoot or in flip flops.

My wife and I always joke about getting those pull on rubber brewing boots when we see them in a store, next time I see them I'll have to get a pair.
I wear shoes or work boots when I brew.

Pat

I have a pair of old-ish Vans that I brew in and I always wear them for the safety. I doubt they'll provide much protection if I have a carboy disaster but at least it won't be a 'Die Hard' situation.

Fairies Wear Boots...great song.;)

Get your Fairie boots from Teri!

teri-trailer-boots01.jpg

YooperBrew, you know you want them.

I'm a year round motorcyclist so my every day footwear is boots. I'll often start the brewday barefoot but I always have my boots on before there's boiling liquid.

Funny thing - I've been known to cut things (metal and wood) without tracking down my safety glasses yet I always make sure to have boots on when doing the same or boiling stuff.... Figure that one out

Not enough options on the poll. I also wear closed toe shoes, but no, not boots. Didn't answer the poll though.

Yea. I wasn't planning on taking a survey on footwear options necessarily. I have been brewing barefoot for the most part and will be buying boots.

I just wanted to know who else wears them and subsequently which kind.

I'm glad I'm not the one one that wants to play dress up.

I wear a pair of engineer boots most days. Not a huge fan of sandals, so I either have boots on or a pair of closed toe shoes.

Being in Florida, I usually wear sandals. But.... Just last night, I was installing a peg board behind a desk in the garage. As I was moving the desk back (mind you it has a lot of brewing equipment on it) my grain mill fell off. I, like a dummy, moved my sandal clad foot over to break the mills fall because I didn't want to break anything on it (It's a custom designed mill fashioned out of stainless and is pretty heavy). Bottom line... The mill won. There was blood everywhere and I'm fairly certain I broke my middle toe. :mad:

Any rate.... I think I'll be investing in some steel-toe $hi@ kickers to wear whenever I am in the garage or brewing from now on!

I usually wear flip flops in the summer or tennis shoes/socks in the winter.

As an aside, I once had some hot wort splash onto my tennis shoe (from an explosive boil of sorts), instantly soak through to the sock, and burn my foot. It was pretty bad, but I am convinced it wouldn't have been nearly as bad if it weren't for the amount of time the wort was on my skin due to being absorbed by my sock and just sitting there. In flip flops, it would have hit my skin more directly, but would run off immediately.

Shorts and Timberlands is sooooooo early-90s dude. Flannel shirt too? :D

Yup flannel shirt tied around my waist and a Nirvana T shirt... And never tie the laces ...:)

The Timberlands are the only boot other than Dr.Martins that fit my feet the right way. I tried Carolina boots but my feet hurt after a few hours . I bought 3 pair of the American Timberlands at the factory outlet in PA a few years ago because now the one I like is made in China. I have to have them resoled

I may try the Chippawa Bay Apache they are still made in the US

...am always in and out through the dining room and kitchen.
Same here, I usually wear flip-flops in the summer/spring/fall weather permitting.
Winter will get tennis shoes. I'm hoping to have an indoor rig setup within the next year so barefoot/socks will be the norm then. I've only got hot water on my foot once from not closing a valve, But I have a pump to integrate soon, so that shouldn't be a problem in the future.

I wear a pair of engineer boots most days.

What are Engineer Boots?

Usually loose fitting New Balance sneakers so I can go inside quickly without tracking up the house. Also if I spill something hot on them I want to be able to get them off fast. I know this because . . . well I had a pair of not so easy to get out of shoes on once and it burns baby burns. And no SOCKS because when they get doused with boiling wort they don't offer any protection and they are hard to remove fast!

Rubber boots are great except if you manage to spill hot liquid down inside the gap between boot and leg you are in for a painful time of it.

Heavy duty leather lace up boots would be good in the winter.

I hardly ever go barefoot outside. Used to when my feet were a bit tougher, but I usually wear moccasin style slippers when I'm just putzing.

But I ALWAYS wear my safety glasses when I'm working in the shop. All you need is to see someone get a metal shaving in their eye to make you remember to do it.

OMG, Lmuggs, that sounds horrible! I hope you're healed soon.

Being in Florida, I usually wear sandals. But.... Just last night, I was installing a peg board behind a desk in the garage. As I was moving the desk back (mind you it has a lot of brewing equipment on it) my grain mill fell off. I, like a dummy, moved my sandal clad foot over to break the mills fall because I didn't want to break anything on it (It's a custom designed mill fashioned out of stainless and is pretty heavy). Bottom line... The mill won. There was blood everywhere and I'm fairly certain I broke my middle toe. :mad:

Any rate.... I think I'll be investing in some steel-toe $hi@ kickers to wear whenever I am in the garage or brewing from now on!

I don't track what I wear when I brew. Usually it is with my wife, or sometimes she brews and I help her. Since we brew in the kitchen I often do not wear any footwear at all.

I have done it in business clothes (as in when I came back from a job site)
I have done it in jeans and sneakers. (As in this morning)
I have done it in shorts and t-shirt (what I wear when I work from home)
I have done it with just a pair of boots....but that is a different story.

I at least try to ware closed shoes. In the summer it's usually some sneakers and in the winter it's either my boots or other casual shoes I wear a lot. Everytime SWMBO brews with me she complains I don't let her wear sandals.

Texas you can go shoeless almost 90% of the time. So I do....but I also "Weed Eat" and mow the lawn barefooted. Of course while drinking Home Brew. Never said I was smart....still got all my fingers and toes though.

For now at least, huh?

I brew inside, and therefore I am in socks or barefoot. But I certainly wear shoes while cutting the grass. I like being able to walk without a limp. :p

My question, how much beer was involved?

For now at least, huh?

I brew inside, and therefore I am in socks or barefoot. But I certainly wear shoes while cutting the grass. I like being able to walk without a limp. :p

I am a renegade. Big Brother wants me to wear my safety belt, driving. He'll have to make a law to make me wear shoes while mowing!

And besides I don't mow much...SWMBO likes to do it, who am I to take that away from her?

I mow barefoot (tonight, in fact). I can't imagine how shoes are going to help me. I do have a broken toe that kills me after running, but I broke it (methinks) on some free weights in the middle of a dark room.

Stunt, I'm with you on the big brother thing, but that is another topic. Up the establishment!

Back