SOF and keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
I have a SOF and will be building my keezer soon. I was thinking of connecting the two.
I was thinking that I could run 2" flex line from the inside of the keezer to the fermentation chamber to cool it instead of the blocks of ice that I have been using.
I would use an 80mm fan to blow the air out of the bottom of the freezer into the chamber.
Does this sound like it will work. Any comments or criticism appreciated.

yep, people have done it. A search of fermentation chambers will bring up some ideas. What I don't know (or what isn't clear) is if they ever work out long-term.

I've actually contemplated this idea many times and this is always the question I get "stuck" at.

I'm all for the DIY spirit, but don't think you are going to get away cheaper than what you can buy a used chest freezer off of CL for. Lumber, insulation, liquid nails, computer fans, etc. all add up quick.

Good luck!

I have seen it done if you search keezer and fermentation chamber but look at the image you will most likely find it.

Thanks for the responses.
Broadbill I already have every thing. I've been using my SOF for about a year and I've just moved to kegging. So all I have to do is build my keezer.
I will just need to cut an extra hole in the collar to run the flex tube though to the SOF.
What I was really wondering was if it worked, or should I just keep them seperate.

I've been thinking about doing this exact thing for a while now. I'm just starting to put my keezer together (keep bouncing between eBIAB build and Keezer build...) and plan to build a small insulated box to sit beside it.

I'm subscribing to this thread in the hopes you go through with this and share what you learn. I'll do the same, assuming I ever actually make any progress, ha!

If it is a closed system... why not use a loop of tube and a pump. Use (2) heat exchangers at each end of the loop, i.e. one in your keezer and the other in the fermentation chamber. The exchangers could be as simple as an aftermarket transmission cooler. The cooler I just put on my car is small, about 6"x12". (purchase at local auto store) You could attach CPU fans on each exchanger that cycle on and off with the fans in your SOF. Inside the cooling system you could use antifreeze. (it will be a closed system after all)

Back