Big beer...how much sugar left for a second beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjornbrewer

Reaction score
St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milk
Ladies and Gents,
Me and a buddy are doing a RIS this weekend (10g batch using two 10g mash tuns and one keggle...fun fun!). We know that between the two MLT with 22# of grain in each, that there's going to be enough to do a second beer. The question is how much (more) sugar can be extracted from the grain on a third sparge? We plan on doing two sparges for the main beer and then thinking of doing 3.5g sparge per MLT for a collection of 7g wort for the second beer. Is there any way of estimating the residual sugar? I know I can just take a SG reading and figure it out, but I'd like to have an idea anyways. :)

I bought 3.3# LME in case the OG is a little low on the second beer, but I'm not sure If I'm going to need it. It'll probably end up a Scottish Ale type beer...we'll see.

Thanks all! :mug:

The second runnings make a killer black ale. MBC did this by taking half the volume for the RIS which was excellent, and the other half of the total volume for the black ale. It, too, was excellent.

If I could make that black ale from the start I would, but it really is best arrived at by doing the two beer thing.

I typically run 50%, 33% and 16% of the sugars with two equal sparges. So, if I was doing it on my equipment, I would plan on the second batch being 1/5th the concentration of the first. Most likely though, I'd put the sparges in a separate container and save back the 7 gallons. That would give me a beer about 1/3 the gravity of the BW.

I typically run 50%, 33% and 16% of the sugars with two equal sparges. So, if I was doing it on my equipment, I would plan on the second batch being 1/5th the concentration of the first. Most likely though, I'd put the sparges in a separate container and save back the 7 gallons. That would give me a beer about 1/3 the gravity of the BW.

Thanks for the info David. What do you mean by "save back the 7 gallons"?

The second runnings make a killer black ale. MBC did this by taking half the volume for the RIS which was excellent, and the other half of the total volume for the black ale. It, too, was excellent.

If I could make that black ale from the start I would, but it really is best arrived at by doing the two beer thing.

I like the idea...maybe a Schwarzbier???

I am currious about this because I plan on doing a RIS this weekend. I am not sure how many batch sparges I am going to do yet (1 or 2) but I figure I will have plenty of sugars left over if I wanted to do something else.

Back