Is this a score...? HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Okay guys-

I need some sage advice! EAC's welcome! I usually see those posts like, "Is this a good deal?" and have a good impersonal perspective. This time, I'm biased, it's my decision, and I need a second (or third) opinion. Kind of more than I can afford, but this looks like more gear than I'll need. Might be able to sell some and recoup $$$. Here's the deal (as I can remember):

4 Converted (Cut and drilled) Kegs (I believe 3 or all had spigots, stainless) (Could possibly sell one keg and recoup some $$$ on the deal)

2 False Bottoms (I only looked quickly...looks like perforated stainless cut and
domed to fit sankes...probably good to go)
3 way propane manifold
3 Burners (Old skool blowtorch style. Will probably slowly replace)
A few Glass carboys (some with handles)
2 March Pumps (has old, ratty stainless braid tubing. Will replace with silicone)

***This stuff has been heavily used, kegs have thick brown residue inside, all equipment needs to be intensively cleaned/soaked. I did not check the pumps but DEFINITELY will before potential purchase.****

Price? $400 USD.

What'chall think???:confused:

If you have access to a plasma gun and tig welder, I don't think it i worth it at all.

That said, stainless cleans well, as does glass. Pumps can be rebuilt for cheaper than buying new.

KwaiLo said:
If you have access to a plasma gun and tig welder, I don't think it i worth it at all. That said, stainless cleans well, as does glass. Pumps can be rebuilt for cheaper than buying new.

Not so worried about the cleanup. Where would I save $$$ with a plasma gun and TIG (don't have access). Do you know of a place to acquire rebuilt/refurbished march pumps?

Thanks!

Kegs, when they can be found are reasonably cheap. You are looking at paying for someone else's time in modifying them.

The burners you have said are a must replace, the propane manifold is inexpensive, and the carboys are close to free on kijiji/ craigslist.

I don't know anywhere to get rebuilt march pumps, I am suggesting that the ones you are looking at buying could be rebuilt if required. I just did a yellow pages search of my city, 100,000ish people and found 15 listing for pump places.

Without access to the plasma/ tig, I would say go for it. I have access, but have only found one keg so far.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to say. Here's my logic: I gotta pay someone to cut/weld. If I buy a cutoff/grinder and do it myself that'll be about $30. If I can get 4 kegs for $30/ea (about that much by weight at a scrap yard, but have looked with no luck), that'll be at least $150-$200.

Anyone else got ideas?

The equipment you described sounds like ~ $550-600 (if you converted the kegs yourself). You gotta remember, it's not just the kegs, but the valves, fittings, false bottom, etc. The pumps run $100+. I'd say you're saving some money. If I was in your position with the cash, I'd do it. You can buy new burners like the ones I use for $10 ea.

Edit: Here's a pic of the burners I use. They're more than good enough for 10 gal batches.

brew_stand_plumbing.JPG

Buy it that is a hell of a deal! you could sell the extra keg for at least a 100 bucks if it is already converted, Like sparky said the pump are easily 100 bucks (I was thinking 129) a piece that is 300 bucks worth of stuff righ there. then think about it what you don't need and sell even if it is only the keg you are still getting an all stainless all grain set up for 300 bucks, then take the money that you get from the keg and upgrade your burners. I have way more than that invested in my AG set-up and I have a cooler for a mashtun.

Cheers

I wouldn't say it's a hell of a deal. but it is a good fair deal.

There's not a lot that can go wrong with the march pumps, and replacement parts are available

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :mug: I agree, it isn't a hell of a deal, but it seems fair. They used to have it up for sale at $650. I couldn't justify that, but hell $400 is a bit more doable. This will definitely skyrocket me into setting up a brewing rig. I'm gonna head over and inspect this stuff with a microscope. :D I'll let you know how it turns out.

"uhhhhh did we just score?"

Yeah man do it! If you've got the cash then you'll deffinatly be happy you did it

Alright guys...so here's the deal-

Pictures speak louder than words, but I think I got a good deal...even though I coulda used that $400 on the credit card. (SWMBO agrees) So here's the lowdown:

2 march pumps (brass heads, but still good to 250F and sanitizable)
4 Kegs with welded couplings; 3 have 3 couplings for valve/sightglass/therm
False bottom in one keg
3 Monstrous blowtorch burners...rusted to hell, but functional until I make a stand
2 milk crates of swingtop bottles
3 way propane manifold
Misc: Plastic spoon, chewed up mash paddle, lots of stainless braid tubing, several separate propane manifolds with tubing.

Check out my gallery: https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=1&userid=9863 for all the pics. If this link doesn't work, then look in my gallery on the site.

Thanks for the advice guys!:mug:

Back