Low Amine Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter551

Reaction score
While not talking about gluten free beer I suspect that this might be the best forum to ask about this. I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of brewing beer that has minimal amine content specifically for people with an amine intolerance?

Amines are in many foods, and all non distilled fermented beverages. As far as i'm aware the amines form from the breakdown of proteins.

http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/additive-and-natural-chemical-factsheets/amines

I ask because someone close to me has recently found an amine intolerance has been the cause of long term health problems. The prospect of only imbibing straight, unflavored spirits is a bit of a downer for someone who previously enjoyed craft beer and homebrew.

In my searching so far i've found limited resources describing how amines build up in beer and the different varieties relative concentrations (wheat beers seem to have the most amines). I'm happy to hear from anyone who's got ideas.

Thanks

Well, I'm not 100% on the science behind it but, gluten free grains tend to be higher in total protein. So, I'm not sure gluten free grains will help much.

Barely is already bred to be low in overall protein. Clarity-ferm breaks down proteins before fermentation takes place so that might be an option but, that process might create amines. I just don't know enough about the subject.

Back