Control fridge, leave freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayUnt

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a freezer/fridge in my basement and was wondering if there is a way control the temperature of the fridge using a temperature controller but leave the freezer alone, so it can do its thing. I would like to turn the fridge part into a fermentation chamber, but use the freezer part to keep my food frozen.

I built a temp controller using a chest freezer, but I'm thinking about turning that into a keezer. That temp controller uses a stc-100, but that wouldn't work because it controls all of the power.

Is this possible?

I think the freezer and fridge are powered by the same compressor, so not very compatible with using them with two different temp controls.

Yeah that's what it seems like. I thought that maybe I could let the freezer freeze and control the part that brings the cold air from the freezer to the fridge. But it doesn't look like it's possible.

Thanks for the response.

You could wrap your fermenter in a heat wrap and control temp that way. Leave it in your 35* frig and use fermwrap to get it up to 65* (or whatever)

I think the freezer and fridge are powered by the same compressor, so not very compatible with using them with two different temp controls.

Northcal is right. The freezer and the fridge are cooled by the same compressor. The most you can hope for is to turn the diverter valve to the full on freezer position in hopes that the compressor runs enough while keeping the fridge cool that it keeps the freezer section frozen.

Back