Want 95% efficiency? Do it this way!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingHorse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1) Start with a small batch. I was aiming for 2.5 gal of Cheese's CCA @1.056 OG
2) Grind the living daylights out of your grain...I mean seriously, like you WANT a stuck sparge, with that 30% wheat ground into flour.
3) Attempt a decoction, for no good reason other than you want to try it, and might as well risk a small batch.
4) Overshoot your initial infused protein rest temp by a couple degrees, and toss in some cool water to get it right. Wait 10 min.
5) Pull the first decoction, trying to figure out what's "thick" and what's "thin"
Heat decoction to 150, hold 10 min, then gradually heat to 158, then crank it to a boil.
6) Return decoction to mash. Miss target sacc temp by 5-6 degrees. Pull another decoction (no measuring, just eyeball it), boil, and return. Hit target temp
7) Hold at 152 for 40 minutes.
8) Attempt to pull another well-measured decoction. Boil for 20 minutes. Return to main mash. Miss mashout temp by at least 10 degrees.
9) Eyeball another decoction, boil, return. Still a couple degrees low.
10) Toss in a gallon of 190F water, which you were going to need for the first batch sparge anyway. 170F - hallelujah!
11) Batch sparge as usual, but collect about a gallon more than you intended.

Voila! 95% efficiency. Now i just have to do it like that every time :D

I hit close to 90 last time I brewed but I'm happy with 75+
The main thing is to be consistent so that you can hit targets and repeat results.
I'd rather have 75% consistently than varied results.

Well done on the 95%:mug:

orfy said:
I'd rather have 75% consistently than varied results.

Me too.

I wish I could confidently plug in SOME number when I formulate a recipe...I'm getting closer to understandng what it's probably going to be for any given batch, though. This one, clearly, came out of left field. I think the small batch size had a lot to do with it, and the excess sparge water.

I routinely hit around 75%. I account for 70% on Promash, and that way, I'm not usually disappointed.

It takes a long time to truly dial in any system, and methodologies differ with each beer style. I did a decoction mash today, but I normally do a stepped infusion mash or even a single infusion-- mash type, sparge, grist, adjuncts, malt type, etc, will all affect efficiency.

That's just way too many variables to predict an accurate efficiency every time.

Wish I could though.

It's possible that the 95% is more the result of a perfectly concocted recipe. And using a decoction is ALWAYS helpful.

Back