Help me doctor up a basic american ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfista

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been working on technique as I get back into brewing and am going to do a basic all grain american ale on Wednesday morning. I would like to, as they say, kick it up a notch as I have found I can get some ingredients locally. Currently the recipe is:

9lbs 2-row
1lb Crystal 15L

2oz Glacier for 60m
1oz Glacier for 5m
1oz Cascade for 1m

Any suggestions for making it a little more interesting? More hops? Cow-bells?

I'm wondering why you want to futz with it. Sounds like an excellent recipe just as it is.

[shrug] It's your beer!

If you want to experiment, split it into two different fermenters. Use a bog-standard American Ale yeast in one and Wyeast 3522 in the other. That way, you have something different and something mainstream; if you don't like the different, the batch won't be a total loss.

Bob

I think the recipe looks good as is. I don't think an American Ale would really be able to take much in the way of wacky ingredients. Though if you really wanted to go that route, you could add some jasmine flowers at flame-out. Or add in a little vienna for more maltiness. Or some grapefruit zest very late in the boil. My own feeling is that a good American Ale would be simple and clean, but I can quite appreciate the importance of experimentation - so good luck with whatever you end up doing. :mug:

Back