Consistent, Flavorful, Year Round - American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtemple

Reaction score
I want something on tap that drinks easily, has a nice color, and is consistently good without all the bells and whistles. The go to beer for getting home, or so.

Mash​

Strike Temp — 161.8 °F
Temperature — 154 °F60 min
Temperature — 168 °F10 min

Malts​

(84.2%) — Briess Pale Ale Malt 2-Row — Grain — 3.5 °L
(10.5%) — Weyermann Munich I — Grain — 6.2 °L
(5.3%) — Avangard Pilsner Malt — Grain — 1.8 °L

Hops​

Cascade 5.5% — 60 min
Cascade 5.5% — 30 min
Cascade 5.5% — 10 min

Yeast​

Wyeast Labs 1056 American Ale

Fermentation​

Primary — 62 °F14 days
Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol
Look into dryhopping 1 week

I did a single hop IPA with just Cascade and it was wonderful.

All hops added during the boil.

15 grams of cascade to roughly a gallon of wort.

3g at 60 min
3g at 45 min
3g at 15 min
3g at 5 min
3g at 0 min

I used us-05 and kept in ambient air temp of 68°F. Bottled 21 days later. Don't have in my notes why I waited so long. Maybe just had other stuff to do. But it is one of my favorites so far. Have been messing with other more complicated stuff though lately.

I would not use the pilsner malt, maybe just more base malt or substitute wheat malt for the pilsner to enhance the mouthfeel and head. Could also substitute all of the malt for something like Maris Otter Pale malt or use a domestic version of pale ale malt(will have less flavor).

I would push the 30min addition to 10min and the 10min addition to flameout with a steep at 160F or maybe do it as a dry hop. Pushing the hops additions closer to the end of the boil will allow you to use more hops and get more flavor. Divide up the hops to get half of the IBUs from the 60min addition and half from the late hop additions.

Back