Help with 10 year old school project...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KilhavenBrew

Reaction score
So my son has a science project due. The project has to be an experiement and not a demonstration. Demonstration would be easy like, see how resistence works in a POT. I was wondering, what I could do with Yeast or a hydromenter. He has to ask a question and then make a hypothesis. For example, How does stirring affect the rate sugar dissolves in water? Then you make a chart and show that it dissolves faster when you stir and make a theory as to why. That is simple and boring. Everyone knows that answer including the 10 year olds.

You people are smart with all your science knowledge on beer making. I know if you thought about it for like 1 minute, you could come up with something pretty cool. I cannot do anything like, Does beer taste better with a yeast starter?, or that would be it for sure.

using a hydrometer he could do something like evaluating how much yeast will eat at different temperatures...or the the affects of different sugar amounts on final gravity. or you can just make two ipas with different hops and analyze that:mug:

I never heard of a hydrometer until a few years ago. If he has to ask a question.. meh.

What is specific gravity and how is it measured?

Then, he's ten years old right? He could explain very basicaly a hydrometer test our beer to make sure it is ready, or probably better that a hydrometer test the buoyancy of a liquid. Give an example of swimming in seawater versus a public pool, or something like that. Then hypothesize specific gravity measures density and try a few basic liquids, distilled water, soda, sea water, urine (that probably wouldn't be cool) or water with sea salt added.

Ten, he hasn't even been to highschool yet. How competitive are these parents, err kids?

Yes, that is a good one with the helicopter parenting. His ideas were ask for first. But his answers were not even related to science. This is actually a parent kid project.

Trust me, I dont help him with homework hardly. About once per year the school sticks one on me. I am now giving him a dozen choices after making him read books on it.

OK, my son finally came up with one slightly scientific on his own. Does Chocolate milk heat up faster than regular milk?

Because he wants to know in making hot chocolate, if he should add the chocalate first for faster service. I will expand upon this one. Anyway, thanks for the posts.

Back