What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real nice night! Just finishing up the Dragon's Milk and already watched Pulp Fiction. Now watching Happy Gilmore. These films are like comfort food. Add in the milk and two Yuenglings before it, I'm feeling good!

Dave37 said:
That looks magnificent. Not sure how it tastes not a big kiwi guy but that is one beer id judge by its cover and would love to try.

Can you describe its flavor profile a la beer advocate beergeek style? :drunk:

I don't think he's using any kiwi fruit in the Kiwi Red he's talking about. Instead I think he's calling it that because of the New Zealand hops used in it.

Real nice night! Just finishing up the Dragon's Milk and already watched Pulp Fiction. Now watching Happy Gilmore. These films are like comfort food. Add in the milk and two Yuenglings before it, I'm feeling good!

I'm going to call my imperial stout 'blew beaumont's brains out' (Jackie Brown reference) and the coffee version 'DNS' after the scene with Tarantino and Mr Wolf in Pulp fiction. 'You don't have to tell me how good my coffee is, I'm the one that effin buys it.' That's how I felt when I roasted coffee. My wife tells me I'll be the same if we open a brewery.

Been on a huge kombucha kick but this is just plain weird. A lot sweeter than average kombucha but has that pronounced tart finish. Can't say I'd buy it again but worth giving a shot

ForumRunner_20130815_203601.png

Channel66 said:
That's what friends are for! Enablers be enabling.

image-1650808623.jpg

Markowski hits it on the head when he says 'a unique candy apple sweetness'. I think I've sat on this almost a year. I can see it easily improving for five and perhaps beyond.

This is a beer to me like Westmalle Dubbel. If you can't appreciate the simplicity, you're an idiot.

I'm gonna be fully enabled after this. Might hafta pick up where I leave off when I dough in 6 hrs from now when my wife is leaving for work.

Gavroche is 80 Munich 20 pils and 20 sugar. I'm planning on 88 Vienna-ish local 6 row, 4 rye, 3 CM III, 2 flake barley, 2 rolled oats, 1dbb. Brett (hopefully ecy04) and lacto to bottle condition after wlp 072 primary.

So, opening a 750 of 8.5% BdG by myself is a good idea now, right?

Bet your ass it is! :D Having New Holland Beer Hive Tripel bomber 8.5% tastes like fresh honey, soooooo gooood! A nice tartness on the finish. Probably gonna pick another up to age.

ForumRunner_20130815_234215.jpg

Markowski hits it on the head when he says 'a unique candy apple sweetness'. I think I've sat on this almost a year. I can see it easily improving for five and perhaps beyond.

This is a beer to me like Westmalle Dubbel. If you can't appreciate the simplicity, you're an idiot.

I'm gonna be fully enabled after this. Might hafta pick up where I leave off when I dough in 6 hrs from now when my wife is leaving for work.

Gavroche is 80 Munich 20 pils and 20 sugar. I'm planning on 88 Vienna-ish local 6 row, 4 rye, 3 CM III, 2 flake barley, 2 rolled oats, 1dbb. Brett (hopefully ecy04) and lacto to bottle condition after wlp 072 primary.

I love simple beers I really like letting the process, yeast, critters, woods what have you play through a simple malt bill.

Abt12 is an ungodly simple beer, mostly just 2 row, pils and dark sugar. From what I understand they don't even use special b But it's one of the most sought after beers on the planet.

That sounds delicious though.

WesleyS said:
I don't think he's using any kiwi fruit in the Kiwi Red he's talking about. Instead I think he's calling it that because of the New Zealand hops used in it.

Ahhhhh...guess they give off a kiwi like flavor/aroma. That makes sense C.Y. Thank you.

:mug:

I love simple beers I really like letting the process, yeast, critters, woods what have you play through a simple malt bill.

Abt12 is an ungodly simple beer, mostly just 2 row, pils and dark sugar. From what I understand they don't even use special b But it's one of the most sought after beers on the planet.

That sounds delicious though.

Yeah, it's trying to figure out the interplay of simple and complex. I think petrus pale is great and it's supposedly just pils, but I always feel like I want to build the body a little more. I like dry, but not thin. Have you looked into the amount of glycerol different sacc strains produce. Chad Y says brett doesn't make glycerol which leads to thin mouthfeel without spelt, rye, oats, etc. I've guessed that maybe saison strains produce more glycerol than other sacc, hence the enhanced perception of body in very dry beers.

I am drinking an American Brown that I brewed on July 5th using ESB 1968 yeast. It's a fairly big beer having an O.G. of 1.066 and an ABV of 6.4. It's still a little rough now as I accidentally let the ferm temps get into the 70's. I left it in the primary for 30 days before bottling, so I'll bet in another 2 or 3 weeks, it will be very smooth drinking. I hope.

Thanks Leubega. This one was really excellent. I wish I had more to age a bit :s. Had a couple Mercenaries after and now a Brew Free or Die.

ForumRunner_20130816_014009.png

Having a Roggenbier or three before I have to go to bed. Long weekend ahead (I'm gonna have to work my butt off getting things in order). Tomorrow, I plan on picking up some more Puncheon, and a few sixxers (not sure what yet, but I may also grab a couple Marshall 5's for the cellar).

Edit: dimmit, my keg just kicked, so only one Roggenbier. Had to break out another bottle of Puncheon, that I had planned to cellar. Oh well, I'll just have one less for later...

Ahhhhh...guess they give off a kiwi like flavor/aroma. That makes sense C.Y. Thank you.

:mug:

...it's because people from New Zealand are called "kiwis" the same way that people from the USA are called "yanks." Nothing to do with fruit, flavor, or aroma.

Cathedral said:
...it's because people from New Zealand are called "kiwis" the same way that people from the USA are called "yanks." Nothing to do with fruit, flavor, or aroma.

Oh. : |

Yeah, it's trying to figure out the interplay of simple and complex. I think petrus pale is great and it's supposedly just pils, but I always feel like I want to build the body a little more. I like dry, but not thin. Have you looked into the amount of glycerol different sacc strains produce. Chad Y says brett doesn't make glycerol which leads to thin mouthfeel without spelt, rye, oats, etc. I've guessed that maybe saison strains produce more glycerol than other sacc, hence the enhanced perception of body in very dry beers.

Glycerol is a sweet alcohol, that is very viscous. It takes a significant amount of it to actually be responsible for the mouth feel of anything that isn't coming in as dry as wine .995 or so.

You will notice a mid pallet sweetness that can be contributed to glycerol. A lot of saison yeasts do indeed produce high amounts of glycerol but the beer is still too thick at above 1.000 for it to be more than just a contributing factor in the body of the beer.

The body of a saison can be attributed to the polyphenol content (i know they are usually considered bad, but even small amounts greatly affect the protein content, and in turn affecting the apparent thickness), residual sugar, polysaccharide content, mannoproteins, and the esters that almost all of our saison strains produce in spades, Glycerol is not responsible for mouthfeel, but does play a small small part due its “sweet” mid pallet taste, beyond the flavor of the alcohol itself, it doesn't contribute to the "feel" of the beer. I think you will find that it is mostly the esters in a saison strain that contribute to the mouthfeel. But without a combination of all of these, it would appear very thin.

Brett for example will munch through complex bonds, tearing up the polyphenols, the polysach, etc in turn thinning out your beer, it has less to do with the low glycerol content than most wine and beer makers will lead you to believe. It would be great if just one thing like glycerol production could affect the mouthfeel. But in reality it is a balance of many contributing factors.

bobmcstuff said:
It's so malty and delicious.

My Brother in Law loves that stuff and I must try and clone it for him to try. I always think it sounds like a gay rights parade as in " what are you wearing for London Pride this year?"

My Brother in Law loves that stuff and I must try and clone it for him to try. I always think it sounds like a gay rights parade as in " what are you wearing for London Pride this year?"

Yeah - I think it's been around a bit longer than the pride movement though!

Water been in foooking court all gd morning over something that happened 10 months ago I just don't get how 4 dic k bags can jump me and I get sued over it and charges against me so hopefully by the end of the day we will have this figured out.

Edit: oh and they are trying to get me for a hate crime W.T.F.

Water been in foooking court all gd morning over something that happened 10 months ago I just don't get how 4 dic k bags can jump me and I get sued over it and charges against me so hopefully by the end of the day we will have this figured out.

Yikes brother. Good luck!

bobmcstuff said:
Yeah - I think it's been around a bit longer than the pride movement though!

Absolutely! I suppose when it was thought up people would have been confused by the concept of a happiness parade!

Back