First 1 Gallon IPA BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocke_Ale

Reaction score
This is the recipe I plan on using for my first IPA. If anyone has any suggestions or critiques I would love to hear them. I plan on brewing next Monday.

2 lb Pale 2-Row Malt
.5 lb Crystal 20L Malt
.5 lb Munich Malt
.4 oz Citra Pellet Hops [12% AA] for 60 minutes
.25 oz Citra Pellet Hops [12% AA] Dry Hop for 2 Weeks
.20 oz Cascade Pellet Hops [5.5% AA] Dry Hop for 2 Weeks
.10 oz Simcoe Pellet Hops [13% AA] Dry Hop for 2 Weeks
California Ale V Yeast [WLP051]

Mash with 2.54 Gallons at 156F for 60 Minutes
Mash Out at 168F for 10 minutes

Ferment at 68F

I wouldn't waste citra on a bittering addition, but other than that I see nothing "wrong" with it. Maybe a different yeast, or a lower mash temp if you want it drier.

Hope you have an accurate scale, preferably 0.01g priecision!

Most folks would consider 17% crystal in an IPA a crap ton. That's the equivalent of 2.5 lbs in 5 gallons, I would cut that down to about 2 oz. I agree with priceless about the mash temp. Do you have the calculated specs? 0.4 oz bittering seems like a lot for 1 gallon but maybe not.

Looking at about 7.5% ABV and 110 IBU ... is big and bitter what you're shooting for?

The dry hops will give you lots of aroma (at least when it's young), but with the current schedule you're not getting any flavor hopping in there; 2 weeks is also on the long side for dry hopping.

If it were mine, I'd move some of the bittering hops till later (maybe 0.2oz/60min, 0.1oz/15min, 0.1oz/5min for ~75 IBU) and dry hop for a week.

Agree with everything above. I mash my IPAs at 150. Ive seen others do 152, but 156 is higher than I mash my stouts

17% crystal in an IPA is unpalatable by nearly every standard. I dont use any crystals in my IPAs, but when you do its is highly recommended to stay under 5% (google 5 IPA tips from Mitch Steele of Stone and Vinnie Curizilo (sp?) of Russian River). Youve got more than triple that

also using citra as a bittering hop is basically a hate crime

You don't get a lot of beer out of 1 gallon. I shoot for a 2 gallon batch and get 3 six packs. See video

which I need to update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back