Yeast for Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go for the 1272. I do believe Anchor uses 1272 for their porter, and their porter is awesome.

Personally I use WY1099 for my porter.

Either would work really well. 1968 usually will have less attenuation and leave you with a sweeter/maltier beer, which (to me) can be good in porters. Also will have some fruity esters depending on how hot/cold you ferment.

1272 would be equally good, won't dry out the beer like 1056, so you still have some residual sweetness, but I think it is a cleaner, less estery yeast compared to 1968.

If I was doing a robust/american style porter I would probably go with 1272. If I was doing more of a british style porter, I would probably stick with 1968. Both are great though. Or you could split the batch and use both =)

Ofcouse, all of these are guidelines, and are not hard rules. You can also influence how the yeast performs depending on mash temp, ferment temp, etc.

I have only used the 1968 for my honey porter and it works fine for me. I might try the 1272 on my next batch to do a comparison though.

Or you could split the batch and use both =)

I was thinking about doing this, and now that I think about it more I probably will. I like 1272, but I do like maltier beers, so I guess I should do both and see what happens.

I was going to ferment the 1272 at 66, then raise to about 69-70 once fermentation slows, but what about 1968? Similar temps?

Anyone Got any other favorite Yeasts for a Porter? i wanna do a Brown Porter with fairly high gravity for the style. but, i have no idea what yeast i should use, it is going to be my first All Grain after a doing extract for a while. so i am vigorously working on my recipe.

Back