Is my beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman22

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a newer brewer seeking some advise... I've brewed a couple batches that turned out great, but now i think i got a bad one.

I decided to brew a rasberry wheat. I bought a Northern Brewer extract kit, and brewed it just like I had a couple times before. After one week in the primary I added it to the secondary on top of 1.5lbs of rasberries (bought fresh but i froze them for 48 hours before i racked onto them). After another week in the secondary I bottled it just like normal except i added 1oz of rasberry extract into the bottling bucket(The kind from the baking aisle).

At this point everything looked great. I even grabbed a glass of it (still flat and warm) and it was pretty darn good. Now after several weeks in the bottle it is starting to taste sour. The rasberry flavor seems very strong and getting stronger too..

The souring taste leads me to believe i should dump this batch and start over? Any ideas, and where could I have gone wrong? Thanks.

If nothing is grwing in the beer and you don't get a sour/vinegar smell, the beer probably just needs to age. Fruit beers are tricky.

Don't dump it! It might just need more conditioning. I had a raspberry blonde that started out very tart, not sour, but that mellowed out after some time. Time can fix a lot of things so put them aside and try one in a month or two and see where its at.

I hope it turns out ok...

It just worries me because it actually tasted better flat and warm at bottling then it does now (about 2 weeks later).

Anyone else have any input?

Thanks

Its really hard to tell how the beer is going to taste at two weeks in the bottle since it hasn't had time to condition. Just give it some time. I have tasted an amber at 2 weeks and was very worried that it was way to bitter but at 2 months my concerns were gone cause it was delicious.

Hey Cavman As mentioned above giving it time will help. My first infection i described as sour as well and it turned out to have more of a cidery flavor. Which turns out to be lactobacillus(sp?) But fruit beers are tricky Give it a few more weeks to a month, if it starts to go away then you should be in the clear. If it gets stronger then maybe see if one of the local home brew stores will give it a taste for you. Sounds like it should be a good tasting one for summer though.

-BBS

Back