What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave37 said:
Narwhal any good? Never tried it. Went with the 4pk of breakfast stout the other day instead of the narwhal.

I think it's terrible; a hot boozy mess. I'm not sure if I finished the bottled I opened. Hopefully the other three will be better next year.

TNGabe said:
I think it's terrible; a hot boozy mess. I'm not sure if I finished the bottled I opened. Hopefully the other three will be better next year.

I have a couple 2012s left. I drank one not long ago and it is definitely better with some age. Not my favorite imperial Stout, but still pretty good after letting it sit for a year.

Edit: I'm sure you already knew I was going to defend them.

WesleyS said:
I have a couple 2012s left. I drank one not long ago and it is definitely better with some age. Not my favorite imperial Stout, but still pretty good after letting it sit for a year. Edit: I'm sure you already knew I was going to defend them.

Saying it's better with age isn't exactly defending it. If you wanted to argue, you shoulda said it was good fresh. ;)

WesleyS said:
I have a couple 2012s left. I drank one not long ago and it is definitely better with some age. Not my favorite imperial Stout, but still pretty good after letting it sit for a year.

Edit: I'm sure you already knew I was going to defend them.

Last I checked you could drive a cruise ship made out of pallets, painted by an artist and his palette, through the hole in my palate. So I'm sure I would think its delicious. :D

TNGabe said:
Saying it's better with age isn't exactly defending it. If you wanted to argue, you shoulda said it was good fresh. ;)

Sorry, I must be off my argumentative game tonight. Must be time for bed. Later alchys!

I check the back of the shelves to rob beer from you people. Just saying.

You're the guy who hides beer for me?

What can I say, I'm a giver

By the way Gabe what was your rule for determining dates on the oerbiers that don't have a stamp?

SN Narwhal. And some Fighting Cock bourbon.

By the way bud, I forgot to tell you that I had opened that Flat Earth you sent me a while back (Better late than never I guess). Cracked it about a month ago after it sat in my fridge the entire time and lo and behold a mountain of a gusher came blowing out; musta lost about half of that bottle. Didnt really taste infected or anything, pretty light on the hop aroma but other than that a pretty solid middle-ipa. The blowout definitely took me by surprise though :eek:

By the way Gabe what was your rule for determining dates on the oerbiers that don't have a stamp?

I think the one you posted has 9% ABV in right corner? That was added mid-late '09, so bottles with that and no date on cap are '09 or early '10. They're drinking pretty good right now and I'm not sure they wil improve. At least that's what I tell myself when I open one.

The fighting cock is probably smoother than the narwhal.

You're right. I remember this beer being a little bit better. This year may be a bit off, or it could be my tastebuds. Still enjoyable though. This Fighting Cock though was very impressive for the price though. May be my "go to" bourbon from now on.

What can I say, I'm a giver

By the way bud, I forgot to tell you that I had opened that Flat Earth you sent me a while back (Better late than never I guess). Cracked it about a month ago after it sat in my fridge the entire time and lo and behold a mountain of a gusher came blowing out; musta lost about half of that bottle. Didnt really taste infected or anything, pretty light on the hop aroma but other than that a pretty solid middle-ipa. The blowout definitely took me by surprise though :eek:

Oh wow, did not expect that one to be a gusher. And yes, it's a simple IPA and it's pretty tasty fresh. Nothing special but that's what I like about Flat Earth, just something about their brewery and customer service, etc. has got me hooked. None of their beers have I been able to say that that its been the best I've tasted, but there's something always bringing me back. Really surprising on the gusher though :).

WesleyS said:
Sorry, I must be off my argumentative game tonight. Must be time for bed. Later alchys!

Wasn't going for argumentative, if you are referring to my post. Was attempting a little joke :D. Even though I will openly admit my beer deciphering skills are most likely not as good as a lot of the guys/gals in the forums. Still have a lot of practice to do. And I must say I don't mind practicing one bit.

So, I did this while watching SOA and now I'm completely tapped out. Bed. Catch you guys on the flipside.

P.S. The only thing I will miss about this city is the abundance of Boulevard, Prairie, and COOP. Beyond that, I'll be happy to return to PA and all it's backward liquor laws!

2013-10-22 21.58.01.jpg

I think I finally found the only pumpkin beer I can tolerate. Baltic Style Porter part of the He Said/He said pack from elysian and 21sr Amendment. Perfect balance of spice without being overwhelmed by a huge malt mouthful

ForumRunner_20131022_225745.png

Finally able to sit down and drink a beer after a long day of work and then more work once I got home. There's a few things done, but it's becoming a long process. At least my dad and uncle are able to help, but they sure do leave a mess when they're done.
Bedroom

Bathroom

I can't believe how deep this project has gone. I never thought I'd have so much to rip out and replace just from the washing machine overflowing for at least 20 minutes. Not only is it a headache, but it has completely shut down my beer budget until further notice. So, for now, I'm going to be forced to operate off of reserves.
So I'm drinking my last of these.
Recycled picture.

That sucks that the washing machine did that much damage. Had a similar surprise several years ago in the basement when the hose bib line burst. Only difference is I was going to start remodeling the next day so it just became a slightly larger project. Hope you are able to wrap that up soon.

Narwhal any good? Never tried it. Went with the 4pk of breakfast stout the other day instead of the narwhal.

You made the better choice :)

*edit* and drinking coffee after reluctantly turning the furnace on this morning :(

Dave37 said:
Wasn't going for argumentative, if you are referring to my post. Was attempting a little joke :D. Even though I will openly admit my beer deciphering skills are most likely not as good as a lot of the guys/gals in the forums. Still have a lot of practice to do. And I must say I don't mind practicing one bit.

No, my post was in response to Gabe. I guess I forgot to quote his post.

mcbaumannerb said:
That sucks that the washing machine did that much damage. Had a similar surprise several years ago in the basement when the hose bib line burst. Only difference is I was going to start remodeling the next day so it just became a slightly larger project. Hope you are able to wrap that up soon.
Thanks man.
I wish I could say the same thing, but this remodel was forced on me, but it will be nice when it's all finished. The water damage from the washing machine was the smallest part of this project. Once we started ripping stuff out, we found other problems. We had to have the house leveled(something I've actually been putting off), and ended up having it raised 8 inches because in the back corner it was way too close to the ground. The plumbing in the walls was a joke and had a tiny leak, so we had to put all new pipes. The subfloor in the bathroom was pieced together and it looks like the guys who remodeled this house before selling it just laid plywood over rotten spots just to cover it up. I could go on and on with the list of crap we're having to replace that was done wrong by the original builder and the people we bought it from. I'd like to find all of them and strangle them with my bare hands. ;)

Thanks man.
I wish I could say the same thing, but this remodel was forced on me, but it will be nice when it's all finished. The water damage from the washing machine was the smallest part of this project. Once we started ripping stuff out, we found other problems. We had to have the house leveled(something I've actually been putting off), and ended up having it raised 8 inches because in the back corner it was way too close to the ground. The plumbing in the walls was a joke and had a tiny leak, so we had to put all new pipes. The subfloor in the bathroom was pieced together and it looks like the guys who remodeled this house before selling it just laid plywood over rotten spots just to cover it up. I could go on and on with the list of crap we're having to replace that was done wrong by the original builder and the people we bought it from. I'd like to find all of them and strangle them with my bare hands. ;)

On the plus side, after you finish all this work you actually know that these parts at least have been done right and shouldn't trouble you in the future. Oh the joys of owning a house, small jobs seem to have a way of getting bigger. I personally went from just painting to trying to shore up ceilings as the drywall looks like it wants to give up the fight against gravity. Of course working on the house makes that end of the day brew that much better.

Finally got around to trying Dead Guy Ale. Good stuff. Nothing caps off a 12 hour night shift in an oil refinery like good beer. :rockin:

DrunkleJon said:
On the plus side, after you finish all this work you actually know that these parts at least have been done right and shouldn't trouble you in the future. Oh the joys of owning a house, small jobs seem to have a way of getting bigger. I personally went from just painting to trying to shore up ceilings as the drywall looks like it wants to give up the fight against gravity. Of course working on the house makes that end of the day brew that much better.

Yep, at least part of the house will now be done correctly. And you're right about the end of the day beer. :D

tyzippers said:
coffee.

Wondering if my living room lamp is a good conversationalist?

Tread lightly down that road. I talked to my lamp once and now the dang thing won't shut up!

Better conversationalist than your boss, right? :D

Yoy. You said it Mark.

Just go into the conversation with this mind set: "I love lamp!"

Now I must watch Anchorman! I wanted to yesterday because the thought to attempt a conversation with my lamp had crossed my mind a few times and it reminded me of Brick. :D

Tread lightly down that road. I talked to my lamp once and now the dang thing won't shut up!

That's what I'm afraid of. I've been ignoring it this last month and a half and I'm afraid it'll respond negatively to that. :drunk:

tyzippers said:
That's what I'm afraid of. I've been ignoring it this last month and a half and I'm afraid it'll respond negatively to that. :drunk:

Just remember that the fact that you have the power to turn them on and off is a touchy subject. And don't even mention bulb wattage. Trust me.

Back