Dry Hop Causing CO2 Release(Hopefully)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I dry hopped Amarillo IPA the other day with 0.75oz of hops and since that time my airlock has had routine bubbling, and I can see some churn occuring in the carboy. Any idea if this is normal or could I have introduced a little bacteria into the batch?? I am scheduled to bottle this weekend (3rd week from brew day) and I am a little concerned by what I see..

Advice please!!!!

How long has it been in the primary? What you probably are seeing is CO2 coming out of solution. No worries and Oh yeah up that Dry hop IPA's should be 2oz Min in my opinion.

In Primary for a week going from OG1058 to SG1010. Had in Secondary for a almost week before adding the additional hops. I now have about 4-5 days before transferring to begin bottling.

The hops going in will cause a bit of agitation/disturbance which will prompt more CO2 out of solution, also, when you open the fermenter, you let in oxygen. This changes the equilibrium balance of gases, and prompts more CO2 out of solution as well. Finally, the hops provide nucleation sites for the CO2 bubbles to form, and when dispersed in a layer atop the fluid, will give off gas more readily.

Back