Learn to use a map!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except a map is often just as reliable (or unreliable) as a GPS. Probably less so, considering that Garmin, et al, updates their maps frequently, whereas the gas station might have a map that's 2 years old. Neither is perfect, and I would venture to assert that if these 'tards had been following a analog map rather than a digital one, they'd still have had the same information (or lack thereof), and considering how idiotic they seem to be, I doubt they'd be any better off. A GPS or a map is only as good as its user. Our GPS made a few mistakes in France, but overall, it was a godsend and I wouldn't dare do the trip without it. Would a map have gotten the same job done? I guess. But it would have added tons of time and fights and missed roads and dangerous situations where I'm trying to drive and look at my route at the same time.

Except a map is often just as reliable (or unreliable) as a GPS. Probably less so, considering that Garmin, et al, updates their maps frequently, whereas the gas station might have a map that's 2 years old. Neither is perfect, and I would venture to assert that if these 'tards had been following a analog map rather than a digital one, they'd still have had the same information (or lack thereof), and considering how idiotic they seem to be, I doubt they'd be any better off. A GPS or a map is only as good as its user. Our GPS made a few mistakes in France, but overall, it was a godsend and I wouldn't dare do the trip without it. Would a map have gotten the same job done? I guess. But it would have added tons of time and fights and missed roads and dangerous situations where I'm trying to drive and look at my route at the same time.

Yes they were dumb. I didn't mean a gas station Rand McNally. I meant a BLM or Forest Service map which should have all features for area's like this, including topo data.

16 adults and one of them couldn't figure out how to backtrack? Oh, they were from L.A. - that explains that:D

Yeah, but the best part is they had small children and an infant with them in the Utah desert! Why don't ya just throw them in the turkey fryer at that point!

"It was a nightmare — the vacation from hell," Daniel Cohen, back home safely in Los Angeles, told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "That's a story I will tell my kids. For now, I don't want anybody to know about it."

and you are talking to reporters that publish their content on the internet because?

this is one of those "Wrong type of map" problems. They had maps with clearly marked "Roads or trails" and tried to follow them without looking at things like gradient and geography features to see if their cars could handle it.

and you are talking to reporters that publish their content on the internet because?

We are talking about the same guy who was in those 16 morons. Another person who should have to take a test before having kids or dealing with large amounts of money.

Back