Which Hop Should I Sub for Simcoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am heating my water to mash and I realized I don't have enough simcoe. I have a bunch of other hops and I was curious to see what people think I should sub for the simcoe. Here is the original hop schedule:

0.5oz Chinook - 60
0.5oz Amarillo - 20
0.5oz Simcoe - 20
0.5oz Centennial - 20
0.5oz Amarillo - 15
0.5oz Simcoe - 15
0.5oz Amarillo - 10
0.5oz Simcoe - 10
0.5oz Amarillo - 5
0.5oz Simcoe - 5
0.5oz Centennial - 5
1.0oz Amarillo - 0
0.5oz Simcoe - 0
0.5oz Centennial - 0

2oz Amarillo - Dry Hop
2oz Simcoe - Dry Hop

So here are the hops I have to choose from:
Citra
Cascade
Crystal
UK Kent Golding
Warrior
and obviously more of what already is in the batch (Chinook, Amarillo, Centennial)

My original thought is to use Citra but I wanted to see if anybody else had any input. I know it will be hard to replace the simcoe but I don't have many options at this point. Thanks for the help.

Citra is nothing like Simcoe on it's own. You'll need a blend.

I would say your best bet is Centennial mixed with Chinook and a tiny bit of Citra.

I'm not sure that Chinook and Centennial will produce a Simcoe imitation. If it were me, I'd not try to imitate Simcoe, but rather substitute for it.

Thanks for all the input. I decided to just use citra rather than trying to imitate simcoe with a blend. However, the blending ideas were pretty good as I didn't initially think of doing that. I just switched them out in beersmith and tried to match the total IBUs for the batch.

It will actually be interesting to see the difference because I brewed the same batch last weekend with simcoe.

thanks again.

Hard to decipher your objective at this point but if you were 2 oz or less short on simcoe, it would have been easy to get more during fermentation. If an experiment was your goal you got it!

Point being that without knowing how short you were, hard to help. Interested to hear your impression of the citra.

Back