Fridge or Chest Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
That is the question. If I only intend on putting 2 or 3 cornies in it what would you all advise. It seems easier to get cheap fridges on CL than chest freezers, but I got enough Home Depot gift certificate bucks for Christmas that I could get that 7cu ft chest freezer brand new. But, with the freezers you have to then buy a temp controller whereas with the fridge you don't really need a temp controller. Ohhh, so complicated.

Anyway, any advice/suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated.

I had a fridge, and went to a chest freezer. You may only want 2-3 kegs, but you will eventually want more. I thought 2 would be enough for me, but within 3 months, I had 4 ready to serve.

Chest freezers may be more energy efficient, I had the 2door style, but nothing to put in the freezer, and it was running all the time.

Go chest freezer, more efficient. They won't run as much as a refrigerator as they are designed to maintain temps much colder than what you'll use for your beer. Another plus is that when you open the freezer you won't lose all the cold air inside since the cold air is heavier than warm air. With a refrigerator, every time you open it all the cold air falls out and the fridge has to work harder to cool down again. A chest freezer will allow you more kegs and eventually you can even put a collar or tap tower on with some nice faucets.

If you can swing it, go chest freezer. There are a few disadvantages, but the good far outweighs the bad.

I like my fridge, but people seem to love their chest freezers. I'd say go w/the chest.

The energy savings alone on a new chest freezer will quickly offset the price of a temp controller. They can also be converted back to freezer duty by removing the collar. Fridges take less labor to build but they just don't have the same aesthetic quality.

Unless your putting 5 taps on a chest than whats the use.2 taps =2 kegs= fridge.keep the rest in carboys till your ready for them.plus if your setting it up in your house a nice fridge looks a lot classier then a freezer(in my opinion)If you do the math(energy star tag) fridge and freezer should not be that much different at the end of the year.Igot my stainless fridge on craigslist$80.a two tap tower on ebay new $85.$160 total 1 hour work with a beer in my hand.good luck.

Back