So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started my mash for Sierra Madre Pale Ale from NB. Going to mix up a batch of apfelwein this afternoon too.

Just getting ready to start my first partial mash. It's the Speckled Heifer kit from Northern Brewer. Hopefully I don't botch this too bad.

Got my maple nut brown on the stove right now...getting ready to add my maple syrup addition...so far so good...

Wow. Brew day went nuts. Stuck sparge. Rapid fix worked. Dogs drank some of the mash runnings. Almost boiled over and now we are finally calmed into the rolling boil. Please no more brew god jokes at my expense.

Just pitched the yeast (3787) into my Tripel.

This was the first time i mashed at 1.5 qt/lb instead of my usual 1.25. I also mashed lower than my usual range (144 degrees). These two changes took me from my usual 82% ish efficiency up to 90%. WOW!

Just finished, and got back home from, brewing the Honey Cream Ale we had planned... 10 gallon batch (my first 10 gallon batch, think it was Mark's too)... The cooler weather actually helped us to chill it down, but the wind, and cooler temperatures, gave us a few issues. About to smack the yeast pack (Wyeast 1335 British Ale II) and will pitch it in when it's ready...

We did use no-foam (for the first time) in this batch. Mostly because I'll be fermenting in a corny keg, and didn't want to have issues with that. We had a small issue with the amount of grain, and MLT we were using... Got through it though and things look on track. Hit 72% efficiency with 26.5# of grain, so I think we did pretty damn good... True test will be when the brew is done fermenting, bottled (or on tap in Mark's case, most likely) and ready to be consumed...

Since my Barley Crusher had arrived yesterday, I used it on our grains... Really nice mill (granted this was my first time using any mill)... Used my 18V DeWalt cordless drill on it... Went through all the grain we needed to crush with ease (had to crush 24.5#)...

All in all, a good day to brew. Only crappy part is now I have two pots to clean (32 and 60 quart) and a few other items... Probably going to have to put those off to tomorrow, if my LL is home (think it is)...

Just brewed an Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial APA. One of the first brew days I've finished by 5pm!! Hit over my estimated SG, but still had a great IBU/SG ratio, and very tasty sample!!

Finished brewing earlier today. I made the second of two hefeweizens I should have had done last weekend - but only got one done as the second I had my first brewday disaster (already posted about in here lol). Went perfect. Have one more personal designed recipe to do next weekend for a total of three self designed hefe's. The one next weekend is basically going to be the same as today's except I'm gonna do it with all wheat DME to see how that tastes instead of mixing in pilsner or golden light DME.

Rev.

Called my LHBS and asked him to stay open an extra 10 mins so I could grab a vile of yeast for a second batch. Yes, I'm on my second batch of the day...using leftovers from the first...what do you guys think belgian chocolate will do to an IPA?? Other than the dark color (which I'm going fo)...will it taste funky? I really dig BIPAs, but usually with a roasted malt flavor...not sure about this chocolate...

Lighting the strike water for my Sierra Nevada clone. I won't be dry hopping it, but I'm hoping a very late 1 oz cascade hop edition will make up for that.

Brewing my first all grain tomorrow!

Enjoy the change to all grain...

I used my BC for the first time today... Something very satisfying about crushing your own grain just before you brew... It's a new experience seeing how much room 26.5# of grain takes up (more than a full 6.5 gallon ale pale)...

I'll be brewing in the morning. Wasn't expecting to have my hops order in time, but was pleasantly surprised to see it had arrived ahead of the estimated date from FedEx.

I brewed a Belgian Dubbel last night (partial-mash). I missed my OG by a little (0.004 off), but I think I added too much water at the end. No activity in the air lock yet so I am a little nervous (its been 12 hours).
I did use a propane burner for the first time and it was awesome. I could get to a boil 5 times faster than on my kitchen stove.

I brewed 5gal of American Rye out of BYO. Decided not to use rice hulls. The brew was a smooth as could be.

Brewing a Southern English brown right now

Hit my mash temps spot on, it's a beautiful balmy 57 in New Jersey, what a day!

Back