Smells like rocket fuel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinh85

Reaction score
OK, so I had my belgian ale in primary (og 1.065) in primary for a week. Transferred to secondary, been there for 3 weeks. In my impatience, every few days I take the stopper off the carboy and smell my progress. A few days ago, it smelled pretty damn good. Slight banana esters coming through. It still smelled strong though.

Here it is, 3 weeks into secondary, and I took a smelling sample again tonight to gauge my progress. The banana esters are still present, but significantly weakened. As of right now, it smells strongly of alcohol. Is this normal? Even if it is not, I will still let it ride out, just curious as to what input I could receive.

I would say its not consistent with my experience with low gravity Belgians. However, I know that the hot alcohols will age out. You may want to post the recipe.

depending on which yeast used, that probably attenuated down pretty well. I'm assuming its in the 6-6.5% ABV range. It should turn out fine. A lot of time the young Belgians will smell and taste like that. I've got a tripel now that went from 1.085 to 1.008 for almost 10% ABV that tastes and smells like banana flavored lighter fluid. After a couple months it will be delicious. RDWHAHB:mug:

I have a chimay clone that is the same way. I just bottled it a couple weeks ago and I am going to let it sit for a month or more and I think it will turn out fine. Some beers just need time to mellow. In the mean time brew another beer.

You guys have all said pretty much the same thing that I found out at my lhbs today. Not to mention, I bought some victory golden monkey at the beer store today...I took a good wiff, smelled similar to mine aka banana flavored lighter fluid...just not quite as pungent. I was told the strength of the smell will die off with age, so I should probably just RDWAHAHB

On a side note, target abv is about 8.7%...I'm sure I am close to that mark. Got a new hydrometer today, so after a couple readings I should know for sure. I'll keep you guys updated, and thanks for the common sense dosage I needed. So often I tell people just to ride it out and not to worry, I should take my own advice.

Recipe is this:

4lbs light dme
1lb extra light dme
1lb wheat dme
1lb 20L Crystal
1lb candy sugar (at 30min)
1oz Brewers UK Gold (60 min)
1oz Saaz Czech (15 min)
1oz Cascade (2 min)

OG - 1.065
1 week in primary
3 weeks in secondary (still going)

mmmm. I love rocket fuel, looks ok to me my first beligiean ended up with around 7%abv and smelled like it. about a month later the rocket fuel smell cut back a bit and the beer was awesome and made for a few good nights.

now my current belgian is another story. it's not quite a pitcher but it's close. got a HELL of an aftertaste/off flavor that I cant figure out what it is.

You also have to take into account that you've got a lot of surface area and head space that has been enclosed which concentrates aromas. Just be glad you didn't get a snoot full of CO2. :drunk:

It's ready to bottle per hydrometer readings...FG of 1.010...so roughly 7.5% abv. The rocket fuel smell has subsided a bit, so I will bottle in a few mins. Probably gonna cellar for about a month or two, just to let the rest of the smell subside. Thanks for the input!

Back