Pickled eggs--recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 cans of pickled jalapenos that has the oinion and carrots in it. Enough Eggs to fill 1 gallon jug. Top off with vinegar. Let sit 3 to 4 days, will be great in a week or 2weeks.

DSCF2884.jpg

Wicked , wicked good!

Cheesefood said:
SWMBO and I had an argument last night.

tonight, I'm going to make some pickled eggs. Next weekend, I'm going to eat them and wash them down with a BIG glass of 3 week old CCA wort. We're going to be with her family all weekend, so let them enjoy car rides with me.
This is exactaly the kind of thing I was talking about when I said that people eat stupid things=...and that's what gives the squirts not the home brew.

BigKahuna said:
While tanked, they eat any number of nasty things that would give a billy goat the vapors.

:off: Sort of off topic, all you with smokers, have you ever tried to smoke hard boiled eggs? There was a recipe for them the "Lil Chief" smoker my Dad got a long time ago, Sounded like a different variation of the odiferous ova!:mug: :D :cross:

Willy Boner said:
:off: Sort of off topic, all you with smokers, have you ever tried to smoke hard boiled eggs? There was a recipe for them the "Lil Chief" smoker my Dad got a long time ago, Sounded like a different variation of the odiferous ova!:mug: :D :cross:

Get the recipe!!!!!!

You all got me going...Picked up some Pickling spice and 5 doz Eggs. I did the eggs in Jalapeño Slices...Works Great! Also I cut up a few Mozzarella cheese sticks and added them. Now we be talk'en.

DO you guys leave these out, or do they need to be refrigerated?

BigKahuna said:
DO you guys leave these out, or do they need to be refrigerated?

Refrigerate them. Although there is a small possibility you'd be ok with all the salt and acid, anything that rises to the surface will easily go bad and you'd most likely get quite sick from it.

OH how I feel a pole question coming on....Refrigerate / or NOT to refrigerate...What was the question?

But Really, I'll put mine in the chill chest...If you don't mind.
and at 10:30...they are done.

Pickled Eggs

2 or 3 doz. Hard Boiled Eggs
3 cups Sugar
3 Bayleafs
18 Whole Cloves
1 1/2 Lg. Sweet Onion – Sliced
4 1/2 cups White Vinegar
1 1/2 cup Water
1 1/2 tsp. Salt

Put 1/2 of the onion in the middle of the eggs and 1/2 on top of the eggs. Mix the other items in a pan and bring to a boil. Pour over eggs and onions. Put a lid on top and place in refrigerator. Ready to eat after 3 days.

I use 2 cups of vinegar in a gallon jug, water, salt, pepper, cayenne, jalepeno's & pour in the juice, quartered onion & a couple of smashed garlic cloves.. Add eggs, fill to top with water, shake & stir & let it sit for 3 / 4 weeks - depending on how hot you like them. Agitate every couple of days to stir the spices. Quail eggs are the best !!!

Caliente !!!!

OK in spite of almost 50 years of telling myself to never do anything whilst druck (OK so maybe I didn't drink for the first few years) I managed to really F up the other night. I get in an arguement with SWMBO and put a few too many beers away and I decide I'm hungry at 1 am. So I go rumaging thru the fridge and find a pound of bacon. Cool. So the bacon goes on the fire and yours truely, boy genius, heads off to the keezer to cement the deal. So after the bacon is cooked, almost as cooked as I was , I sit down to a big ol' plate of bacon and..... uh............ bacon. Ummmmm I love bacon, especially when half in the wrapper after a pissing contest with SWMBO.

So now I'm totally faced. It's 3 am, I'm still mad at SWMBO who just won't see reason, and called me a Neanderthal because I think Hillary is the devil incarnate. (Sorry but if that hosebag can't inspire loyalty in her own husband she sure as hell ain't gonna get it out of my Republican ass... Ya, that's pretty much how our conversation went, right there. Yup!! I'm a Neanderthal my arse! Cro- Magnon, sure, but Neanderthal? What Neanderthal ever put a simple declarative sentence together, I ask you?)

So now, after slathering a pound of bacon grease on my hurt feelings I'm left with a half dozen strips of bacon. And once again, Paultheboygenius, rises to the occasion. I decided that since pickled eggs adn pickled sausages are often within 4 or 5 feet of each other on a bartop, WTF, lets put them together in a pickling jar and see how it turns out. So I did.

I think, shortly after that, Charles Bronson made it over the pass into the Yukon and Lee Marvin decided that enough people had died, and I decided that the couch was wicked freakin' uncomforatble and went up to bed and snuggled up to her unreasonable, feminist, Democratic self and .... (I'd like to report 'make up sex' here but I woke up in the morning with only a hangover, no smile.) Sure, the next night brought the MUS but by then the bacon had spent a whole day in with my eggs and was looking a bit greezzzy and unappetizing.

How bad did I F up? Not about Hillary and SWMBO, I mean about the pork addition to the pickled eggs?

paulthenurse said:
OK in spite of almost 50 years of telling myself to never do anything whilst druck (OK so maybe I didn't drink for the first few years) I managed to really F up the other night. I get in an arguement with SWMBO and put a few too many beers away and I decide I'm hungry at 1 am. So I go rumaging thru the fridge and find a pound of bacon. Cool. So the bacon goes on the fire and yours truely, boy genius, heads off to the keezer to cement the deal. So after the bacon is cooked, almost as cooked as I was , I sit down to a big ol' plate of bacon and..... uh............ bacon. Ummmmm I love bacon, especially when half in the wrapper after a pissing contest with SWMBO.

So now I'm totally faced. It's 3 am, I'm still mad at SWMBO who just won't see reason, and called me a Neanderthal because I think Hillary is the devil incarnate. (Sorry but if that hosebag can't inspire loyalty in her own husband she sure as hell ain't gonna get it out of my Republican ass... Ya, that's pretty much how our conversation went, right there. Yup!! I'm a Neanderthal my arse! Cro- Magnon, sure, but Neanderthal? What Neanderthal ever put a simple declarative sentence together, I ask you?)

So now, after slathering a pound of bacon grease on my hurt feelings I'm left with a half dozen strips of bacon. And once again, Paultheboygenius, rises to the occasion. I decided that since pickled eggs adn pickled sausages are often within 4 or 5 feet of each other on a bartop, WTF, lets put them together in a pickling jar and see how it turns out. So I did.

I think, shortly after that, Charles Bronson made it over the pass into the Yukon and Lee Marvin decided that enough people had died, and I decided that the couch was wicked freakin' uncomforatble and went up to bed and snuggled up to her unreasonable, feminist, Democratic self and .... (I'd like to report 'make up sex' here but I woke up in the morning with only a hangover, no smile.) Sure, the next night brought the MUS but by then the bacon had spent a whole day in with my eggs and was looking a bit greezzzy and unappetizing.

How bad did I F up? Not about Hillary and SWMBO, I mean about the pork addition to the pickled eggs?

I am sorry to laugh at your misfortune :D but I have to (it's just a funny story). I hope things are patched up with SWMBO. At any rate....well the biggest thing you'll have to worry about is if the grease forms surface drops, it can be a site for molds to form. It will probably take a bit of time if you keep them refridgerated. Out in the open, I'm not sure. It will be edible, although possibly a little strange. The most you really have to worry about though is probably mold. Unless you cross contaminated when you were....druck...:D.

Just be sure not to puncture the eggs to "help" the brine. Somebody tried that and ingested botulism. Although boutlism can't live in an acidic environment, the botulism made its way to the yolk via the toothpick hole and the PH of the yolk was not high enough to kill botulism.

http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm

As far as refrigerate/don't refrigerate, pickling is a pre-refrigeration method of food preseravation. Pickled food will keep for a long time without refrigeration becaus the solution is too acidic and too salty for bacteria. I prefer a cold pickled egg, but one on the counter for 8 months or so is fully preserved.

For those familar with canning to can highly acidic foods like pickles or tomatoes, you don't even need a pressure cooker, but if your environment is less acidic, then you need higher heat to kill everything.

I was gonna make Cheyco's recipe, went to store got what I needed, and when I got home I looked at the recipe....

.... I'm like Doh!!!

I picked up pickling salt instead of pickling spice. Damn back to wally-world today.

It best not to shop for pickled eggs when you've been drinking.

Crap, i totally should have made these for the super bowl party!

Edit: Wait, I totally can. It will be ready in 4 days!

I just made up half a dozen of these for Sunday. Even though we're not having a party, or going to one, this year, we need a snack to have with our beer. I added some jalapenos to the brine, for a little kick.

Dang it, made 12 with right amount of liquid. The put them in this funky square jar and the liquid didn't cover the eggs all the way.

Do over - I'm repeating the boil but adding only another 6 eggs.

If this happens do you normally top-off with vinegar?

I just made up half a dozen of these for Sunday. Even though we're not having a party, or going to one, this year, we need a snack to have with our beer. I added some jalapenos to the brine, for a little kick.

The Doghouse in Houghton or Bleachers in Hancock have the best pickled eggs. At least they did 15 years ago.

Oh man, I need to make some more of these. I always add more red pepper flakes and jalapenos to increase the spicy level!

I just got done cleaning up the pickled egg dishs. They are presently sitting in the basement waiting patiently for me to get the majority of the bar finished so they can sit on top of it for consumption during the super bowl.

Man they look good!

I have dipped into these at 24, 48, 72 hours...

I think I like the chewy egg whites.... :drunk:

They go good with an IPA!!!! - Like BIG SKY!!!!!

Why have I never had these before!?

I just finished my first dozen last night and man they are soooo goooooood.

Can I reuse the pickling juice or do i have to remake it? Im going to make 2 dozen this time.

Wow..can't believe you guys who've never had pickled eggs. Maybe I'm just lucky (or unlucky for some points of view) to live in Wisconsin. It seems every bar has them, and usually other pickled favorites.

We pickled alot of things..I'll have to post the recipes:
we do:
1. Eggs
2. Fish (usually northern pike)
3. polish sausage
4. Chicken and turkey gizzards (very very good)
5. green bean (called dilly beans)

If you like pickled eggs you guys have GOT to try pickled gizzards. They are chewy like the egg, but with no dry yoke inside..and they really soak up the flavor. Also Dilly Beans are pickled, and we add one hot chilly pepper to the jar..this gives the beans a nice pickled flavor with some nice heat to follow. VERY GOOD. All great for eating with some cold beer.

I can post the recipe for the dilly beans and gizzards if anyone is interested.

Dan

We used to cheat down at the firehouse. We would take one of those big jars of pickles and save the juice after it was empty. Dump in the hardboiled eggs and let age. A few beers, a few eggs and time to fumigate the house.

I like mine spicy, but the kids love them this way even the one 17 month old.
I let them soak for a week or more before eating.
I forgot i add a small onion for the smaller jars that fit 6 eggs.

Oh that reminds me, if the eggs are fresh let them sit for a week because they'll be harder to peel. Also when you bring them off the boil (remember 10 minutes is your friend, unless using larger eggs like Duck then go a minute longer) shock them in ice water to both arrest the cooking process and to contract the white away from the shell.

zoebisch,

MMMMMMMMM....that picture looks Yummy!!! :)

Hey thx fly. The tomatoes were lacto-fermented (something of my own design). The Oyster mushrooms were from my mountain. The pickles and dillies we grew (well all the ingredients anyway, save the salt and vinegar and a few of the spices). The olives were from the store though.

Back