fermenter lock on secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
I plan on moving to a secondary 5 gal glass carboy in a few days. The rubber stopper I have for the carboy has a hole in it, I'm assuming that is for the fermenter lock? Do I need to have the 3 piece fermenter lock on a secondary fermenter? If not, what can I use in place of the rubber stopper with the hole in it?

Also, is it possible to have too much fermentation? When the fermentation was at it's peak, my 3 piece fermenter lock was going about 55-60 times a minute. From what I've been reading, that sounds too high.

HurricaneFloyd said:
Do I need to have the 3 piece fermenter lock on a secondary fermenter?
Yes, this will allow the O2 to be purged from the surface of the beer.

HurricaneFloyd said:
Also, is it possible to have too much fermentation? When the fermentation was at it's peak, my 3 piece fermenter lock was going about 55-60 times a minute. From what I've been reading, that sounds too high.
I don't believe it is possible to have too much fermentation except in making it too dry. Relax. What style are you attempting, your recipe ingredients, yeast, OG and FG?

Wild

Yes, you can have too much fermentation, as in, why are the walls dripping? If the airlock is handling the out-gassing, you're fine.

And you should use an airlock on the secondary.

I recommend the 1 piece fermentation lock on the secondary. Since there won't be much CO2 produced in the secondary, there is the chance that air is sucked in. This can happen when the temperature falls and the airspace above the beer contracts. If you use the 3-piece, you can suck the water from the airlock into the beer. This almost happened to me once.

Kai

Latest posts

Back