MD Spring brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which one got tossed?

I did one about 2 weeks ago with a sweet mead smack pack - turned out to grow some white fuzzy bits that turned out to have green centers.

So to replace it, I did another one this weekend.

I have enough honey for one more - then it's time to buy another bucket.

I did one about 2 weeks ago with a sweet mead smack pack - turned out to grow some white fuzzy bits that turned out to have green centers.

So to replace it, I did another one this weekend.

I have enough honey for one more - then it's time to buy another bucket.

I should have the money to go in on it with you now if you want.

Can you imagine how messy it could get scooping all that honey into little 5 gallon jugs?

I don't think we could reach to the bottom of the 55 gallon drum anyhoo.

Maybe we could arrange a bulk buy of 5 or so 5 gallon pails? I'd be willing to call various apiaries, but this is probably the wrong time of year!

I am actually planning on finishing up my MLT tonight. I'll let you know how that goes and if I will be able to bring it or not.

How much?

Just called, $7.95 for Wyeast stuff.

Have yeast prices increased lately? Seems like it was $5 last time I checked.

For the mead has anyone ever tried dehydrated honey? Would be easier to deal with in bulk.

I sense a bulk honey buy coming along! :0

55 gallons drums anyone?

well ill take 10... Jezter wants 5 you want 5.... Data wants 5? thats still a bit away..... :)

You'll take 10 buckets???? I don't need 5 buckets.

Damn, we're gonna have to find that Kitchen store and buy more 5g carboys...

Can you imagine how messy it could get scooping all that honey into little 5 gallon jugs?

I don't think we could reach to the bottom of the 55 gallon drum anyhoo.

Maybe we could arrange a bulk buy of 5 or so 5 gallon pails? I'd be willing to call various apiaries, but this is probably the wrong time of year!

It's a rough time of year for sure. And I'm not doing SQUAT with trying to divy that up unless that drum has a spout and we have a hoist. Trying to dip out 15# of honey out of a 5g bucket is messy enough and I swear I get that sticky crap EVERYWHERE but in the must water.

My place I get from up in PA is nice. Good honey for under $2/lb. The other "local" place is out near Fredneck near Yunus. Clap buys from them.
For the mead has anyone ever tried dehydrated honey? Would be easier to deal with in bulk.

Never heard of it. Is that like DHE (Dry Honey Extract) ??? :p

Never heard of it. Is that like DHE (Dry Honey Extract) ??? :p

I had not heard of it either, until I found it in google when searching for bulk honey. Don't know if its suitable or not.

Also if you guys are really that into mead why not do a very large batch? 55 gallon plastic drums are not that expensive.

Alright, I won't puss out this time. I will be there, but I don't know if I'll be brewing yet. I have a 10 gal Igloo MLT, but the burner and gas belong to someone else, and I don't know if I want to lug those around. If nothing else, I'll come by and hang out with you guys, and share one of the few bottles of mead I have (it's only a few months old). :mug:

Alright, I won't puss out this time. I will be there, but I don't know if I'll be brewing yet. I have a 10 gal Igloo MLT, but the burner and gas belong to someone else, and I don't know if I want to lug those around. If nothing else, I'll come by and hang out with you guys, and share one of the few bottles of mead I have (it's only a few months old). :mug:

If you can bring the MLT that would be great. Last time we could have probably used more MLT's but we were set on kettle's since they are bigger we need less.

Oh, my MLT is 15.5 gallons. I am having problems with it so hopefully it will be done in time.

The problem is the where the drain was I can't get any pipes to fit well enough to be able to seal and there isn't enough clearance to use a bulkhead. I do still have one more idea, but it is a hail mary. If that doesnt work my friend can fabricate me something just for it. He just doesn't want to if its not neccisary because he really isn't supposed to be doing that kind of stuff at work.

and i am the least handy person in the world!

Reallly???????? Never would have guessed that. "Which one is a flat head.... the plus or minus" :D :D :D

we can do it at my place if need be.... but Joppa seems to be more central, and then i dont have to lock up all my meade :D

Well personally I would prefer joppa, just because of distance. But will there be enough room?

in joppa? weve had lots of people up there... and so far we only have 3 brewing....... then again im pretty sure Cugel just forgot to mark himslef down...

Back