I'm Mashing! First All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiodad

Reaction score
First all grain is underway! Mashing Edwort's Haus Pale right now... Very exciting to have come this far as a brewer!! This forum is a great place to learn! Thanks to all of you! I'll let you know how it turns out!

great choice, that was my first AG. I suspect a lot of other peoples first as well. Good luck, I am sure it will come out great.

good luck! I think you'll find AG isn't as difficult as you think it's going to be and a hell of a lot of fun.

Well I finished at 1.053 a touch on the low side for Edworts Haus ale. Overall an enjoyable day though and I think there is no turning back from now on!

ohiodad said:
Well I finished at 1.053 a touch on the low side for Edworts Haus ale. Overall an enjoyable day though and I think there is no turning back from now on!

Interesting after analyzing this.. When I put this in Beersmith it gave me an OG of 1.057 and Edwort lists the OG as 1.051. I came out at 1.053 I'm pretty sure.. Of course I had about 6 homebrews during the process.. (Mashing enables more drinking time!) Interested to hear what gravity you guys end on with this one when you brewed it.

As for the question. Yeah I mashed in a cooler. I made a mash tun out of a 48qt igloo from wal mart for 15.88 and bought a bulkhead and braid from the link that is posted here. Put it together with some teflon tape and was ready to rock the next day. The cooler held temp pretty well. Beersmith gave me the temp to heat the water to and it seemed to be right on.

ohiodad said:
Interesting after analyzing this.. When I put this in Beersmith it gave me an OG of 1.057 and Edwort lists the OG as 1.051. I came out at 1.053 I'm pretty sure.. Of course I had about 6 homebrews during the process.. (Mashing enables more drinking time!) Interested to hear what gravity you guys end on with this one when you brewed it.

Interesting. Beersmith gives me 1.052 for a 5.5 gallon batch. Do you have the Batch Size set for 5 gallons?

Anyway, congratulations on your successful AG! Very cool. I'm glad it went so well.

Chad

Chad said:
Interesting. Beersmith gives me 1.052 for a 5.5 gallon batch. Do you have the Batch Size set for 5 gallons?

Anyway, congratulations on your successful AG! Very cool. I'm glad it went so well.

Chad

You were right on Chad.. I had the batch size set for 5 gallons!! Great I did pretty well then!! Very cool!

Cheesefood said:
How did your MLT turn out?

It was really easy!! Thanks to your tips!! Couldn't believe how easy it went together. I bought a 48qt igloo rectangular ice cube cooler at walmart for 15.88 and bought the bulkhead and braid that you suggested in your email Rob. Put it together the night that the parts arrived used some teflon tape on the threads. Mashed a PM in it on Saturday and my first AG on Sunday. Looks like I was right on for the target gravity so the MLT appears to be working well! Thanks so much for your help!! Now if I could only figure out how to swing a keggle and a barley crusher as easy I'd be set!

Back