Belgian Pilsner Malt vs. 2-row pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnaheimAngels

Reaction score
I'm attempting my first all grain recipe and the recipe I am using calls for 12 pounds of Belgian 2-row Pilsner Malt. When I ordered it on NorthernBrewer.com, all they had was "Belgian Pilsner Malt" or "2-row Pale Malt". Anybody know what the difference is in these and if there is actually a "Belgian 2-row Pilsner Malt"? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

And pilsner malts are said to be typically a bit less modified thereby benefiting from a protein rest as opposed to highly modified standard 2-row no? I know they're both 2-row but this is what I've read about the difference.

Rev.

That is true. Also you should worry about DMS with pilsner malt if it makes up more than 50% of your grain bill. A long (90min) rolling boil drives off all of the DMS and should always be done with pilnser malt making a significant portion of your grain bill.

Back