Racked off a bit early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D*Bo

Reaction score
So I brewed yesterday. I've only got one Franken Tank (14 gallon fermentor), which had a brew from a week and a half prior. So I had to transfer to two carboys while I started cooking this new wort.
When I opened the fermentor I saw the krausen hadn't fallen yet. There was 6 pounds of honey in the 10 gallons of wort, which will take quite a while to ferment out.

I racked off into the carboys and finished the brew session, but not before saving the yeast cake for washing. Should I go ahead and toss some of that washed yeast into the carboys? There was quite a bit of yeast still in suspention, I'm going to have to transfer again anyway.

Might not help, but it sure wouldnt hurt. If its got plenty of yeast, the excess will settle to the bottom anyway

I was prety sure I was all set. But considering I've got plenty of yeast to harves from the airlock, I think I'm all right.

Back