Sour Beer Addicition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlbeer

Reaction score
After having many New Belgium La Folie's on draught and learning that they will only be bottling this year ($$$). I need to brew my own to feed my growing addiction to sour beers.

I think I may start off brewing a Beliner Weisse, as I know I have a 6+mo wait time on the Flanders.

So...my question. Assuming I introduce Lacto bacteria to the brew - will this poison my brewing equipment forever? I know that is pretty aggressive stuff.

I think with proper cleaning and sanitation you should not have any contamination from batch to batch.

Understand that wild yeast and bacteria are present everywhere and we do a good job of keeping them from effing up our beer.

PS: If you like the La Folie have a look for Eric's Ale. Also seek anything from Jolly Pumpkin.

I am also a huge fan of these funky ales. Recently I had the Hottenroth Berliner Wiesse from The Bruery and it blew my socks off.

There is definitely a BW brew day in my future.

I keep a separate racking hose and bungs for sour beers, but everything else (even the autosiphon) I use for both with no problems. I clean everything with hot PBW, rinse well with HOT water, hit it with StarSan, and let everything drip dry completely before re-sanitizing and using for non-sour beers. No problems.

BTW I see you are in Austin. I'm brewing a Flanders Red on Saturday. If you want to come by and drink my Berliner Weiss drop me a PM. :)

In that case maybe not. FYI it will be 84F here on Saturday in the mountains of western NC. We have never had triple digit temps ever! 82 is the average high for this time of year. It's paradise!

Back