Best General Purpose Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilishprune

Reaction score
I haven't started all grain brewing yet, but I would like to get into it in the future. My question is, what kind of grain is the most multi purpose for providing fermentable sugars?

I would like to just go ahead and purchase a large sack of it so that I can get a better deal on it, but I'm confused as to what kind I would be able to use in the most applications.

Would it be 2-row or 6-row? and what brand?

It depends on what style of beer you want to make the most. I make mostly American style beers, like APAs and American IPAs, so my base malt is an American two-row. For British styles, I like maris otter. For German/Belgian styles, a nice German pilsner malt makes a fine base malt.

Generally, an American two-row is fine for most beers but some like the "warmth" of the English malts even in American beers.

I got a sack of US two-row (Briess) for $35 or so, so that's my base malt.

American 2 row is the most versatile, in my opinion. It works for robust ales; it works for light lagers. It has good enzymatic properties and provides a good amount of sugars post mash without too much protein.

On the other hand, it is so versatile because it has less character than most other base malts. For ales, Maris Otter or other British pale ale malts provide more complexity. Same could be said for German Pilsner malts for lagers. But if you're looking for one malt that can do a lot and is the most reasonably priced base malt, it's good old American 2 row.

American 2 row. I have also been using Pilsner Malt as a base malt for Ales but it is a little more money.

My LHBS just started a program where you buy the 50 pound bag of malt and they just subtract from that amount each time I go in. I don't have to take the bag home. Saves me about 20 bucks per 50 pounds.

Thanks for all the good information. I did a bit more research and realized that crushed grains don't last all that long. Since I don't have a grain mill then this would be a bit more problematic, so I might just have to buy smaller amounts of grains until I can afford one of those.

Ask your LHBS if they have or would start a system like I mentioned. Buy the bag. Leave it there and keep track of how much you go through it. Repeat.

Ask your LHBS if they have or would start a system like I mentioned. Buy the bag. Leave it there and keep track of how much you go through it. Repeat.

That was what my first LHBS did 20+ years ago in Seattle & I loved it. They called it a grain card -- did it exclusive for Klages Canadian 2 Row. I mentioned it to my LHBS owner here & he dismissed it outright. Since then I've been buying most of my grain from BMW. I want to support my LHBS, but they've got to be less than 150% of the prices of BMW (with shipping included).

That was what my first LHBS did 20+ years ago in Seattle & I loved it. They called it a grain card -- did it exclusive for Klages Canadian 2 Row. I mentioned it to my LHBS owner here & he dismissed it outright. Since then I've been buying most of my grain from BMW. I want to support my LHBS, but they've got to be less than 150% of the prices of BMW (with shipping included).

was that cellar homebrew on greenwood? they've since revised the grain card to include any malts you want with a discount

Back