Equipment and Sanitation for filtering...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve973

Reaction score
This coming week, I'm about to try filtering a beer for the first time. We used pellet hops, and I want to be sure to clear out most of the crud before dry hopping. I plan on siphoning the beer from its fermentor into a corny keg. I assume I need a ball lock with a barb, and a hose to connect that barb to the barb on my filter canister. How many PSI should I use to push the beer from the corny to the secondary fermenter? Secondly, how should I sanitize the filter element? It has never been used before, but I am sure that it would be a wise idea to sanitize it somehow. Also, do any of you have any other suggestions that I should be aware of when I'm filtering beer?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have any answers but I just have to ask what this fascination with filtering is. I suppose it's one way to rush things a little but you'd save yourself a lot of work, frustration, and cost if you just let it settle on its own or crash cool it for a couple days. You can also move things along a little faster if you use gelatin in the secondary.

I run my filter at 2-3#s. It takes a while but it clears alot better than pushing it through fast. I normally use a pleated 1-micron filter and unless I'm filtering 2 beers back to back, I'll normally toss it rather than trying to clean it.

For sanitizing, I just stick it in a keg of Iodophor when sanitizing everything else.

Tip: Turn the filter housing upside-down. This will prevent more CO2 getting pushed out.

Good luck,
Wild

Latest posts

Back