Adding hop flavor to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdubs21

Reaction score
I have a pale ale with too much malt flavor and not enough hop flavor. Is there a way to add hop flavor to the keg? The beer was dry hopped for 5 days prior to kegging. I was thinking about adding a strong hop tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hop tea is a great way to add or adjust hop flavor in a keg in my experience. I use a French press and hot water around 140 degrees. I let it sit for an hour, press and pour in the keg. I would start with no more than 2 oz of hops. If it still needs more, try another oz or two.

I like both the previous suggestions. The hop tea will give you more flavor than aroma because the heat will drive off some of the more volatile oils so adding the dry hop in the keg too should get these aroma volatiles for you.

I added a hop tea made with 1 oz of cascade and 1 oz of chinook. The added hop flavor is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

On a similar note, when contrasting a hop tea vs cold keg dry hopping...

Has anyone else found that dry hopping in the keg (if the keg is cold/in the fridge) can really promote vegetal/grassy flavors?

I have had this happen every time I have dry hopped in the keg, I chalked it up to the low temps not not allowing the release of the volatile oils and you only get the "green veggie" flavor and moved to hop teas when necessary.

Back