Clogged Keg???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

progers84

Reaction score
I recently did my first kegging of a home brew and it had a lot of sediment due to a double fermentation the recipe called for. It sat for a few days and I didn't rinse it out until I put my next batch in a few days ago and when I went to pour a beer yesterday there was no movement in the lines. The CO2 is on, full, and connected properly. The beer line is clear and connected properly. But still there is no beer pouring. I'm wondering if the small tube in the tank is clogged. Does this happen much if the beer prior had a lot of sediment? Let me know if anyone has had any experience with this...

I have had a dip tube get clogged before, but I was using one of those little swizzle stick things inserted into it to slow the flow rate. It would take an awful lot of gunk to clog up a dip tube as-is. Did you have dry hops in there?

Also as a sanity check, is your CO2 check valve open?

If you only rinsed the thing out after sitting for a couple of days, it is possible that the long dip tube (out) or poppet is clogged with old beer gunk. Make sure all your connections are sound. Then you may have to dissasemble with the beer in it. Not hard, but make sure you depressurize the keg first! And make sure to keep alot of star-san on hand.

Good advice... I was afraid I'd lose the beer (or have to drink 5 gallons in one night). So this can be dis mantled and blown out and as long as everything is sanitized it shouldn't go bad?

Latest posts

Back